Best Cartridge Filter for My Pool?

Bigger is always better with filters. My Pentair Clean and Clear 520 has worked great for 5 pool seasons. They also make a 420. I prefer the Pleatco replacement cartridges to the oem Pentair filters. They are cheaper, better, easier to clean, last longer. Lots of good stuff.

I also recommend the Pentair Clean and Clear 520 and the Intelliflo VS pump. In my mind the Intelliflo is the "Gold Standard" of VS pumps.

But, no matter what VS pump you buy, make sure you install a surge protector right at your equipment pad. The main cause of VS failures is due to electrical surges.

Jim R.

I had a Pentair FNS DE, and just switched to a Quad DE, so that is not really a cartridge filter [but sort of], so now you have three people that Like Pentair Filters, but I have not used others. My neighbor has all Hayward, and seems to be more frustrated, but he is an engineer like me and has high expectations.

I also recommend the Pentair Clean and Clear 520 and the Intelliflo VS pump. In my mind the Intelliflo is the "Gold Standard" of VS pumps.

But, no matter what VS pump you buy, make sure you install a surge protector right at your equipment pad. The main cause of VS failures is due to electrical surges.

Jim R.

It hadn't occurred to me that that would be an issue. Would something like THIS suffice?

Nothing is going to stop a direct hit, but I like having one even if only for pseudo piece of mind... :p

The one you show looks like it would work to me, but in my case I wanted one that plugged right into the power center like a circuit breaker..

Like this one: Surge Protector.jpg

Jim R.

Reactions: RubiconValley
Started my research looking into DE because it seemed like the most efficient. But I got a little concerned about the maintenance. That's how I decided on cartridge. Pentair seems the way to go.

The Pentair Quad DE is a hybrid (cartridge filters with added DE). Very easy to maintain and very clear water. I'm not sure if the Clean and Clear line is all that much easier to maintain than the Quad DE. With the Quad DE, I backwash it to get rid of the majority of the "junk" and then take out the cartridges out and hose them down. Then I reinstall them and recharge them. That whole process takes about 2 hours and I do that 1x or 2x a year. I recently gave them an overnight acid bath and that dropped my pressure from 10 to 6 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like DE filters, but where I live you cannot just backwash anywhere you want. To meet code, and pass the city's inspection, you have to backwash down the sanitary drain (sewer). In my case the sewer is on the opposite side of the house, so my only reasonable option was the Cartridge filter. Like Katy......Owner, I too only have to clean my filter twice a year. Once when getting ready for a new season, and once about 6 months later. I think this is due to having a larger filter and normally running the pump at a very low RPM.

Jim R.

It hadn't occurred to me that that would be an issue. Would something like THIS suffice?

I installed a Square D HEPD80 to my pool subpanel to protect all the equipment there. Can get in big box h/w stores and online like here. It will help protect all the equipment on that panel. A little more protection than the other, which I had considered as well.
81soCHnO0ZL._SX522_.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.