Handrail is stuck

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
I got my ladder out with no problem, but the handrail over the step is super stuck......like its welded in. The bolts that hold the slide thing on it have dropped, so they aren't the problem. Any suggestions to get this out???

Slow but steady pressure. Try turning it back and forth as you lift. Sounds like you are sure that the anchor wedge dropped, but be sure the bolt is backed all the way out then tap it down if necessary. There was one person that posted a similar situation and was able to free it by using a hydraulic car jack and wood block under the handle. Just be careful not to apply to much pressure.

You may have tried all this, so sorry if it is repetitive.

No thanks for any advice. I have tried all this so far, the pressure and stuff. I am sure the wedge has dropped, as I can put the bolt back in, and raise it up and down freely. I did have to tap it down when I first started. I was about ready to get the jack out, but I figured if I cracked the concrete I was screwed.

Yes it will interfere with cover for sure. I didn't have any problem last year, but pool was finished first week of September last year, so it was only in there for 5-6 weeks. This is the first full year of having the pool. I got WD40 working in there now, but don't seem to be helping any. I am hoping my big strong step son maybe the answer....HA!

Yup, he should help. It really is just stubborn and needs some motivating...the handle not the step son.

Spinning it should let you apply more force to break it free vs lifting it. It is just too hard to "lift" it with out tilting it. It will come out eventually. I do recommend PB Blaster over WD40.

It has two posts on the hand rail. Spinning is not an option. You're right.....it will come out eventually.....LOL, one way or the other!!!!

When I grab the end of mine and move it to the side the posts rotate in the sockets. Maybe some gentle twisting on the end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there a way to get some compressed air into it? Probably a long shot, but if it is a 3" tube, that is 1.5^2*Pi=7*150psi would yield about a thousand pounds exactly in the direction you want, if somehow it was sealed [which it probably is not], but if you can keep up with the leak, you will get the 1000 lb of force. Even if that doesn't break it lose, now the other options may work.

If you figure out some way to do this, be careful. You could turn that railing into a rocket, so have something to catch it if/when it lets go.

My handrail has 2 inserts that are close together. This year, one of the supports fell in. What I did after hot water is twist back and forth. Yours may be jammed because the base is bent and something is wedging it in. Twisting in a 360 degree fashion may work (hopefully) as it worked for me, unless what is wedged in there is restricting this as well (If this makes sense). I believe it is your only solution to get it out.

Last year, I had so many problems with the steps, that this year, every 2 weeks the steps were removed, cleaned and I added some elbow grease. I guess will have to the same for the steps because it was very difficult.

Good luck with everything and please keep us posted!

The bottom of that rail is not sealed so the above idea won't work on several levels.

Most of all, it is very unsafe and should be disregarded.

Bummer about the no sealing. Good put about this also creating a rocket. I'd certainly still do it, but I'm probably a bit of a cowboy when it comes to taking calculated risks.

If it is mostly sealed, a hydraulic (pressurized water vs air) might be a method to break it loses also.

Usually it is sand or grit that gets wedged in there. Do you have a pressure washer that you can use. A high pressure washout of that socket may be all it needs to release your handrail.

Usually it is sand or grit that gets wedged in there. Do you have a pressure washer that you can use. A high pressure washout of that socket may be all it needs to release your handrail.

Or maybe the opposite--a shop vac to pull out material?

I'm also thinking about a lever and something to grip the pipe. If you were Got lucky, and found sched 80pvc, you could split it, and glue rubber to each half. Then hose clamp the two halves around the pipe. Now use pvc cement to glue on wings on each half, and this could make a good fulcrum for a lever. Maybe a couple of 2x6s with a spacer the Same diameter as the pipe.

I never thought about the pressure washer, I will give that a try this afternoon, after I pour some Coke on it and let it sit awhile.

xyz.........you must be an engineer of some sort..........HA! Thanks for the ideas though~

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.