Why remove return eyeball fittings?

I see this step in nearly all winterization guides but no explanation as to why removing the return fittings is necessary. If the water is drained below them, why would one need to remove them?
I would think for prevention. I like the fact that it keeps them from seizing in place if you regularly remove them. I use silicone o-ring lube on the threads anytime I remove/install them too.

IMO, the step to remove the eyes is to limit protrusions into the pool that can prevent the ice from moving. Last year for instance, we had a stretch of warm temps with snow that melted through the cover on to the "ice cap" that formed in the pool. Some of water made it under the ice while some froze on top of it. Either way the ice both raised and grew taller throughout winter. Anything sticking into the ice prohibiting it from lifting from water underneath it would have a lot of concentrated force at that point.

Just my $.02, and probably unlikely in TX but a real concern up north.

I see this step in nearly all winterization guides but no explanation as to why removing the return fittings is necessary. If the water is drained below them, why would one need to remove them?

If you do not cap the fittings, the winter snow and rain will displace the water under the cover and that will drain out, leaving even less (treated) water in the pool for the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.