Above ground closing and repair advice

Sep 26, 2016
Tennessee
Hello everyone. I’m so glad I got recommended to this forum. I’ve learned a lot in my reading so far.

We moved into a new place last year that included a pool with no previous pool experience. So far we’ve used a local pool shop for testing along with chlorine tablets and shock. It’s worked reasonably well, but it has gone sideways a couple times and was difficult and expensive to get clear again.

I’m planning on reading this forum over the winter and will handle all testing and maintenance when we reopen next spring. No more trips to the pool store!

I’ve been reading about closing and learned a ton, but have a few specific questions. I’d be grateful for some advice.

24ft above ground—about 4ft depth
Raised deck built along side
It’s a bit older and not sure of brand—pool caps have a “JW” logo
Hayward 2 speed pump
Sand filter—sand was changed out this last summer.

-There are a couple of small plumbing leaks that I’m planning to repair (with some help from a friend) at closing. One is at the outside of a return. It’s possible I may need to replace whole piece and not just the plumbing on the outside. Where and how could I find the correct replacement part?

-At closing I’ll syphon the water down, take off the “eyeballs”, and plug the return lines. How do I flush the water out of the lines? Shop Vac from the end—Air compressor from the pool side?

-We need a good new cover. What brand would you recommend where is good place to get it? I may use pavers if needed to weigh it down.

-Last winter the cover was hard to keep clean and water off it. I used a syphon and it worked ok, but not able to get to the middle at all. What’s a good plan there—pool pillow, or an inner tube of some sort?

Thanks so much for the help!

Hello,

For blowing out the lines a shop vac should work. I use a shop vac and I have lines running underground.

Pool cover - I like Robelle pool covers...you can find them on amazon.

For water removal - I syphone with a hose, it works. You can also get a decent priced pool cover pump. I use an air pillow under the cover since I am in NY but it helps keep the water around the pool and not the middle.

I hope this helps!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.