Intelichlor cable corroded at connection to power center...no power to cell!

Dec 25, 2011
Charleston, SC
I had no power to my intelichlor so I checked the connection and saw it was corroded and where there used to be 4 prongs I believe, there are now only 3. I checked the power supply inside and the green led is on so power is getting to the power center. Its the connection from the cable from the intelichlor to the power center that I believe is the issue. Has anyone else run into this? Is it possible to just get a new cable or will I have to replace the entire intelichlor? Initially, when I wiggled the cord, I could see the power come on intermittently and I walked away thinking I had fixed it. Now no amount of wiggling will restore power to the intelichlor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Marcy

Can you post a picture of what you are seeing? Is the corrosion at the power center bayonet connector end of the IC power cord or is the corrosion at the IC cell?

I believe the power cables are potted directly into the IC cell itself and are not designed to be undone at that end. The bayonet connector plug at the power-center end of the cable may be serviceable.

Can you post a picture of what you are seeing? Is the corrosion at the power center bayonet connector end of the IC power cord or is the corrosion at the IC cell?

I believe the power cables are potted directly into the IC cell itself and are not designed to be undone at that end. The bayonet connector plug at the power-center end of the cable may be serviceable.

Here are some links..they were too big to upload
Shared album - Marcy Whitfield - Google Photos

- - - Updated - - -

Its at the end of the Cord...not the other way around.

So both the cord end and the internal connector at the power center are fried. They can not be repaired as-is but they could both potentially be replaced. The problem is understanding what exactly happened as that connector obviously suffered from serious over-heating and corrosion. Did it get wet there? Was the connector properly screwed in and seated? The transformer in that box pushes out a lot of current and so any "weak link" is going to heat up from resistive heating and eventually fail.

What is the condition of the cell? Have you pulled the cell and cleaned it recently? Was it producing chlorine adequately? Did you have the right salt levels in the water?

My concern would be that you could, in theory, get the wire and connector repaired only to hook it up and have the exact same blow-out occur. That type of connector is fairly cheap (probably less than $5 at any online electrical component reseller, e.g. DigiKey, etc) and fixing it isn't that difficult for someone with basic electrical repair skills. But if the problem is not the connector but with something else, you'll just get the same results.

Have you contacted Pentair? How old is the unit? Is it under warranty still?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.