Bucket test accuracy

Jun 11, 2016
Boston, MA
I am in Massachusetts and the night has been pretty cold. Low 40s. Did a bucket test last night and noticed the pool water dropped about 1/16 in, but water level in bucket dropped very minimum. Are there sometime bucket test is not so accurate?

thanks.

Evaporation can be different in certain conditions. For example, if windy weather your pool will have a much larger surface area exposed to the winds so it could lose a little more. The lip of the bucket can effect the airflow over the water (unless it was filled to the very top). And placement of bucket as well with wind - i.e. are winds being diverted in area where the bucket is placed. So testing over a longer period can help.

Thanks. I will monitor a little longer.

I always remember reading a post here saying it is not worth the effort to identify any leak fewer than 1/8 in per day. The article said it may end up spending more money with little result. Not sure if this is something the experienced pool owners here agree?

Evaporation is typically 1/8"-1/4" per day. So, I don't think you could eliminate evaporation as a source if that is all you are losing. I also don't think you would even notice it on your water bill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.