Pentair ic40 intergrating with pentair vs pump

Aug 22, 2016
Corpus Christi Tx
Just purchased and installed part way a pentair Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1 1/2 Horsepower, with a Pentair 521377 Intelli pH Canister with Controller, Pentair 188594 Quad D.E. Cartridge Style D.E. Pool Filter, 100 Square Foot, , Pentair 520556 IntelliChlor® Power Center For Salt Chlorine Generator Systems , and a Pentair 520555 IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator Cell in our new (old) house we just bought. Its a fiberglass 20K gallon pool. Haven't moved in yet and had a lot of problems with it. Hope we will now have clear water.

Anyway the question I have pertains to the electrical hook up. I understand that the IC40 should only run when the pump is running. But since the pump has its own timer, how is this accomplished ? There is no out on the pump with the exception of the low voltage connector on the side of the pump. The intelichlor needs 220v. And I won't be using the timer any more due to the pump having its own timer...

Also if anyone knows, the Intelli ph canister controller should be hooked up before the IC40 cell, but the only way I can do it is vertically instead of horizontally. don't think that would be good, so if I put it post cell is that bad ? |My guess is that the acid helps keep the cell clean but I didn't have enough room to make it as the Pentair 261050 2-Inch HiFlow Valve made for a difficult install. I could put in before the cell but only on the downrise between the filter and the cell.

I will call Pentair tomorrow and hopefully get a answer but hoped to hear from people that have done this too. Also have to call for a replacement part on the filter, that is cracked....
oh and the pleated filters have little holes on one end but not the other.... do they go up or down or doesn't it matter ? The pentair instructions leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks,
Bob

The SuperFlo pump is not really designed for the operation you desire. You purchased a lot of Pentair equipment and it would have been a lot easier to do what you want to do had you purchased an EasyTouch automation panel and an IntelliFlo pump. Everything could be integrated into the ET panel and operated from there.

The short answer is there is no way for the SuperFlo to control the IntelliChlor. You will need to put the IC on a separate timer (like an Intermatic timer) and make sure that the IC timer is kept in sync with your pump run times. You could put everything on the Intermatic timer but that means the SuperFlo will constantly be turned on and off when it should really just be left powered on.

There are people in your same situation that use a current draw switch on the pump to activate the IC when the pump is running but this will certainly require some upper division electrical knowledge.

The IPH injector should ideally be placed prior to the IC. Can you post a picture of the equipment pad? I bet there is a coupler or elbow than can be drilled and tapped for the injector.

Ok so I can either put the pc100 on a separate timer or run the pump 24 hours per day at a slow speed? The Haywood single speed pump I replaced was a energy hog so I would still save money. Right now all I want is to get it back working as I have a algae problem. The easy touch doesn't work with the Superfly pump from what I could see.... Any other systems that could work with this pump and SWG? I will post a pic as soon as I can. We still haven't moved in yet to much construction going on... Thanks!

You could always set the pump to run manually and use a timer to run both the pump and SWG. That may take some of the coolness out of the built in features of the VS pump but it will solve your issue.

Probably your best bet is to run a mechanical timer for your SWG, hardwire the pump to constant 220v and keep the two timers synced. This actually works fairly well especially considering the main reason the manufacturers likely do this is to force people into automation.

Matt is correct that the expense needed to get get your equipment safely operating isn't much less than $1-200 than full blown automation.

That is how mine is wired. SWG is wired to a time clock and VS pump is wired to a breaker. I run my pump a lot more than my SWG. Pump usually runs 12 to 24 hours per day for skimming leaves and solar heat/cool. SWG usually runs 8 to 10 hours per day. I make sure that the pump and time clock times are in sync and I make double sure that the SWG only runs inside the window of the pump run schedule. It has been great for many years. It also allows you to better dial in the amount of chlorine generated by the IC since it can only be changed in 20% increments. It is easy to add an hour or whatever to the schedule to get a little more FC.

IMG_20160928_151521.jpg
Thanks for the replies. The pool is looking a lot better with the filter pump combo. Still need to wire the SWG and acid pH dispenser. No room to Mount it unless I change the piping unless you see another way or b mount it vertically. Thanks. Bob

- - - Updated - - -

Another angle.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20160928_151500.jpg
A new pic

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.