Multiple issues with pool water and chemistry

glennx99

Bronze Supporter
Sep 25, 2016
Bloomington, IN
Hello all - I've looked at TFP periodically for a few years but this is my first post. As you can see from my signature we have a lap pool in a pool house attached to our home. I've battled stains on the fiberglass pool and seem to be doing well with Metal Magic. The pool is 85 degrees, CH 200, TA 110, pH 7.5, FC 5 which seems pretty spot on for what Hayward wants for the heater. The heater was installed last fall. Something was going on with the combustion and the heat exchanger sooted over, causing it to overheat and the plastic side panel to melt. Our local person consulted with Hayward and changed some things and it seemed to work well for a while, then sooted over again and the side melted. The regional Hayward technician is now involved. When he was here he noted significant lime deposits in the heat exchanger and questioned me about the pool chemistry. I emailed him the test results above. I'm wondering about the pool chemistry because of the heat exchanger findings, but also note that when I add chlorine to the pool it clouds up. Sorry to throw a kitchen sink full of problems as my first post but thought maybe someone here would have some insight. Of course we will let Hayward do its own analysis of problems. I should confess that I was adding liquid chlorine slowly through the skimmer with the pump running and so that may have caused the scaling...

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.