Replacing single speed motor with two speed. Need wiring help

Jun 24, 2012
Hello fellow DIY'ers. Hoping one of you can help
My pool pump motor kept blowing a fuse on my Hayward PSC 2100 and blew the board. Not finding any repair or replacement parts for the ol' 2100, I was forced to replace it with a Prologic pl ps8. Apparently the problem was the pump motor, not the psc2100 and the motor finally died. It was a SPX1615Z1MNS, which lasted just two years!!!:mad:
I've purchased the replacement motor, but I decided to upsize and go with a two speed. I went with the SPX 1620Z2MNS.
My question is how do I wire this motor differently so that I get to enjoy the benefits of two speeds. I understand I have to use a second relay, but wondering if anyone has pictures of what this looks like. I'm looking at the installation manual, but I can't seem to be able to transfer this to the actual wiring in my prologic box.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Mike- IslandBoy

Hayward pool (sorry don't know your name. I hope you can corroborate my understanding of what I need to do based on the attached pictures and the diagram you just provided
I'm attachin a picture of my current prologic wiring (one speed pump) a second picture of my new (2 speed pump connection panel) and finally a picture of the motor's plate. Based on you diagram I'm going to proceed as follows:
I'll be using AUX3 for my low speed relay,
Step 1. Jump from filter pump relay (position1) to AUX3(pos1)
Step2. jump from filter relay pos2 to AUX3 pos2, then run a second wire out to motor connector 2
Step3. Jump filter relay pos3 to AUX3 pos 3
Step4. Run wore from Filter relay pos4 to motor connector 1
Step5 run wire from AUX3 pos4 to motor connector 3
Run ground wire
Bond
I'm using all AWG12 wire.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok sent you my mobile number
a couple,of disclosures beforehand
i wired everything and programmed the relay on the configuration menu. When I powered up it ran ok in high speed, when I selected low speed, after the requisite 3 minute wait, I heard the motor slow down, but it was also making a weird loud noise. Like grinding but not quite. It ran foe about five minutes in low speed then completely stopped. (At that time I heard a click in the prologic box.
Currently it will only run in high speed mode. If I select low speed i hear the relay click and it just stops.

Hey. Just wanted to thank you for your help. Everything was wired correctly. The issue was that the low speed wire had come loose at the motor. I suspected that so this morning I pulled it back out (much to my chagrin, there is no easy way to put that northstar back in place once separate) found the loose connection, reconnected and voila. 2 speeds working like magic.
Thanks so much for your help. Your wiring diagram was so much better that what was provided in the installation manual. Perhaps the colors, lol.

mike.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.