Algae but no CC???

nicpppardo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2013
Hello!

The weirdest thing is happening and I'm hoping someone can help. On the sides of my pool, something green-ish is showing up on the walls that comes off once we brush. I immediately assume algae so I get out my test kit and ... nothing. I get no CC when doing the drop test. I have done it multiple times!

Anyone have any idea what is going on? This is a new TF-100 test kit (bought ~April 2016) so the contents should all be fresh.

Some specifics below:

15,000 gallon salt water pool, but the salt water piece has not been creating chlorine because it is reading the salt level as too high. My salt is around 3800ppm. Trying to find a good time to dump some water, but we're in CA and the water companies do not love that. I have been using bleach to get chlorine into the pool

FC: 6.5
CC: 0
TA: 60
CYA: 40-ish (too low, I know ;))
CH: 1000
pH: 7.6

Thank you!
Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can have algae patches and no CCs. CCs are generated when chlorine oxidizes nitrogen containing waste (sweat, urine, etc). It can be generated from the killing of algae but it is not always the case. Sunlight (UV) can also sometimes eliminate CCs faster than they can be generated.

If you have visible algae, and you do, then you need to SLAM, period. CC's are not the criterion to look at.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.