Help for a (maybe) underperforming new pump (and an algae problem)

Sep 25, 2016
Venice, FL
We have an inground pool in Florida, no screen-enclosure. I measure the pool and did the math, came up with 12,000 gallons.

BACKGROUND

We inherited the pool and pump when we bought the house 3 years ago. We know nothing about its history. It seemed to work well for a couple years.

This spring we started to have some problems with algae. And the pump seemed to get weaker and louder. When we ran the pump witout a filter, the guage read 20. With a clean filer, it ran 25. A few days later, 30. Also, when we start the pump, the side intake stream was pretty strong. But 15 minutes later it was weak. We bought a new filter. Still a weak stream and high pressure reading. Soaked the filter in the filter cleaner overnight. Still a weak stream and high pressure reading. Took the filter back and they replaced it. Still a weak stream and high pressure reading. Took the pump and did not find any debris or damage to the impeller.

But then a few months ago, I found the pump running with the water very low in the filter basket and the water essentially boiling temperature. I don't know how long it was running hot, but I know that could have warped the plastic.

Then this summer, possibly due to record-breaking heat, the algae got worse.

With a lot of chemicals, we seemed to get it under control.

Then, last week, the algae came back. I Wwent to Leslie's, bought algaecide and 6 bags of shock. Put in the algaecide, then a little later, 2 bags of shock. 12 hours later, another 2 bags. 12 hours later, the last two bags. Pool was still a little murky. Planned on getting the Clear Aid the next morning to get rid of the murk. But the next day, it was all green. My wife said all those chemicals aren't going to do much if our water flow was low. So she decided it was time to buy a new motor.

THE MOTOR

So we bought a new Hayward filter online for $189. Same HP as the old pump, 1.5. I installed the pump yesterday. Now the guage on the filter reads 14. And it IS running much quieter than the old pump.

However, there are a few problems.

The filter basket container will only fill up halfway. I've filled the basket enclosure to the top before putting on the lid. I put sealant on the o-ring. I've bled out the air on the big filer. But the filter basket container will only fill up halfway. Although, the water line is still higher than the hole at the bottom, so the pump is NOT drawing in any air.

I've looked for leaks. The same happens whether I only draw from the skimmer and when I evenly draw from the skimmer and the bottom drain. When I do draw from the skimmer, and I put my hand on the hole at the bottom of the skimmer, there is suction. Just not a lot.

Thinking there is some air in the pipes between the skimmer and the filer, I shot water into it with a hose. It turns out a few things where in the pipe, such as a small plastic cap and the glass thermometer. But the suction is still not that great.

Also, when I switch it to 100% draw from the bottom of the pool, no water comes in. I think there may be some leaves or grass stuck in the drain. I can't see, since the water is green. And I can't dive down with so much chlorine in the water.

Also, there is a water leak (after the pump), where the PVC screws in. I know I need to redo that connection. But I've read a few places that that shouldn't contribute to the lack of suction.

THE ALGAE

I got the water tested yesterday at Leslies. I was told to add some Alkilinity Up, then 4 hourse later a big yellow container of chlorine, then 12 hours later another.

So yesterday, after I installed the pump and started it running with a cleaned filter. I put in the Alkilinity Up. 4 hours later, the chlorine. By then it was 11pm. I let the pump run for 2 hours. But since it was a new install and I didn't want any suprises in the morning, I turned off the pump and went to bed.

In the morning, I checked the pump. Still underperforming. I put in the second big container of chlorine.

WE ARE CALLING A SERVICE PERSON TOMORROW

But until then,

1. Does anyone here have any thoughts?
2. Is still good to fill the pool with chlorine, even though 1) my bottom drain may be clogged, 2) the filter basket well only filling up haflway, 3) have a small leak after the pump, 4) have a medium flow out the side return.
3. Should I redo that connection where the pvc meets the pump (after the pump), which means buying more PVC pipe and elbows and adaptors, or just wait till the service person gets here?

WHAT A FREAKING MONEY PIT!

wm,

Your story is much the same as most people that have come to this forum for help. The key to the TFP method is to test your own water and stay out of the pool store. The pools store's job is to sell you "stuff", our job here at TFP, is to educate you in how simple it is to maintain your own pool and not waste your money on unnecessary chemicals.

I suggest you use the link at the top of this page a read all you can in "Pool School" and see if this is something you'd like to pursue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I read your post, seems you have three problems. One, mechanical issues that two, led to chemical issues that three, really bummed you out! Don't worry about the algae until your pump is sorted. Once the equipment runs, then sort your chemical problem. If it was me I would continue to add bleach and brush the heck out of it!!!, get a Taylor fas-dpd or tftest kit and then SLAM the pool. I suggest printing out the slam procedure. That way you can stand right next to the pool and do it right. If I was a betting man, I would guess your cya is really high. With a pump failure it exacerbated the chemical issue that was hiding in a lack of good tests. Pool stores are notorious for being way off on tests. I hope that you can get it sorted and clear up your pool. I feed my pool about two cups of bleach a day. I've never bought shock or pucks. J.

Some updates....

I've been cleaning my filter once a day. Including yesterday morning. And near the end of the day, the flow was low. So I went to do another filter clean. Howver, it LOOKED clean and the pressure had not changed. So I didn't clean. Before I went to bed, I checked out the flow. Almost non-existent. So, I took the filter out. Then the flow was really strong. So even though the filter looked clean, I figured it was dirty. But instead of cleaning it, I left it out and ran the system without the filter. I figured the pool need a good boost of circulation. After an hour or two, I turned the pump off.

This morning, I cleaned the filter, put it back in, turned on the system...and voila! The flow IS high AND the pump filter well is filling to the top. So either running the pump without the filter generated enough suction and pressure to clear out some obstruction...or my filter just gets clogged really quickly.

I'm betting it is the filter. So I've resolved myself to cleaning it 2-3 times a day until the algae is gone.

So here are some new questions

1. Is there a way to clean a filter than just a hose? I've read many places the hose is the best. But I'm also wondering if I could or should use a brush as well. You know, the kind that is like a dandilion that you use to clean down inside a glass. I know there also the liquid. We did the soak overnight in liquid, but that was a pain and was expensive. And I don't if the spray bottle of cleaner makes that much of a difference.

2. When I bought chlorine this weekend at Leslies, I was told my stabalizer was low. Should I buy some stabilizer?

3. And I was intrigued by the "I've never bought shock or pucks" statement. We are out of pucks and was planning on getting some tonight. But perhaps I may not need to? Or, does the fact that my pool is in Florida with no screen that I need pucks. Or is there a cheaper alternative to pucks?

wm,

I may have missed it, but what specific (Part number) filter did you buy for $189??? The smaller the filter, the more often you have to clean it, especially when you have algae.

Jim R.

Wm, let me clarify... I've never used those because I have used the tfp method from day one. Pucks are chlorine bound together with stabilizer. I don't want my stabilizer level to get too high from puck and shock usage. My friend had to shock his pool blindly without a good kit and used the bags of shock and keeps his puck feeder full...his cya was way over 150 ppm. Pucks have there place, but I don't mind daily giving my pool attention!
Also, yes you need stabilizer but the pool store is probably wrong. The kits used on here are the best to know for sure your cya level.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Most of us on here (99.9%) use chlorine/bleach instead of pucks or tablets. Please go to the top of the page and read Pool School. That is the corner stone of TFP. It is EASY and oh so cheap to do! You will have not have the problems you are having now when you get your pool clear if you run it the TFP way.

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.