Trying to balance with new Taylor kit. How are my numbers?

jkrupp

Aug 26, 2016
Roseville, CA
I emptied and refilled my tub on the 21st and since then have been testing my water each day with my new Taylor (2005) kit, and using pool math. My numbers are:

CYA = 0 (not measurable at least)
Ch = 110
Ph = 8(+)
Alk = 60
Fc = 5
Tc = 5

I have been adding dichlor each day to bring up the CYA as per the sticky "How to use chlorine" thread. I've added about a tablespoon each day. 1st and 2nd day my Fc was 0, yesterday it was 3, and today it was 5 (when tested in the morning). So that means it is also adding CYA right? And I should be at the recommended CYA of 30 in the next couple/few days? I am using LeisureTime 99% dichlor if that makes a difference.

On the 21st my Ph was 7.6 and Alk was too low (30 I believe). I added baking soda according to pool math. Is that why my Ph is so high now? I'm not sure what to do about that. The only chemicals I have added since my fill are dichlor, baking soda (a very small amount), and Calcium increaser. We have not used the tub at all.

Thanks! On another note, my hot tub has never looked more clear. I must have been way out of balance before.

Your PH may not like your TA that high. Just drop the PH which will in turn, drop your TA and see if stays more stable.

my Alkalinity was around 60 and pH seemed perfect at around 7.6. But Pool Store water test said if i don't bring my Alkalinity up to recommended levels 100-... If i have any warranty claims, they will not cover.

I've tried raising Alkalinity with Baking soda, now i have to see if pH will stay below 8.0+

outdoor, the pool store said your alk should be around 100? I thought in the spa / chlorine post it recommends keeping it around 50? Hmm maybe I need to go back and read it again.

- - - Updated - - -

Well when I googled "ideal alkalinity for hot tub" the answer I saw first was "between 80 and 110". But when I looked at the sticky thread about chlorine / hot tub, the poster said to keep it around 50, because of the temperature and aeration. :scratch:

The higher the TA the faster PH will rise. Aeration also causes PH to rise.

Hot tubs can have rapid increases in PH due to the aeration of using the jets. Add in some high TA, and the PH can shoot up a like a rocket.

Each hot tub will have its happy place of TA, but you will need to always keep an eye on PH as it will rise quickly just from aeration.

Well, today was the first day that I used bleach instead of dichlor :) Though I just got a new bottle of CYA regent from the website recommended here, and when I tested it today my CYA is still under 30... possibly around 20 (almost there), so I may add dichlor again tomorrow.

So nice not having to play the guessing game with my hot tub! Always cringing when I opened the cover... "will it be foamy? cloudy? a little clear?" It's been crystal clear since the new fill and chemical balancing... beautiful water. And my two toddlers and hubbie were in it yesterday for about an hour. No one can deplete FC like toddlers right? But was still testing FC at 2 afterward, added bleach according to poolmath and brought it up to 5... loving this method! Finally feel like I know what's going on!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.