Question about covering the pool equipment

skinpath

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2016
Pittsford, NY
My pool equipment (filter, heater, and pump) is all located outside at the side of the house under a cover of some trees and bushes. This has made it a bit of a pain to access them during the summer, but I’m thinking it will provide some protection during the winter.

My question is - Is it recommended to get actual covers for any or all of these pieces of equipment? If so, can anyone recommend what kind of cover?

despite what all of the others have said, no I don't think it is recommended. You can do it if you want to, but make sure you have enough air movement under that tarp to prevent trapping water and creating rust problems. I don't cover my BBQ grill for the same reason. In my experience, it's held up longer without one.

despite what all of the others have said, no I don't think it is recommended. You can do it if you want to, but make sure you have enough air movement under that tarp to prevent trapping water and creating rust problems. I don't cover my BBQ grill for the same reason. In my experience, it's held up longer without one.
Well after 20 years of covering the equipment i have yet to experience any rusting problems.

My #1 problem has been mice eating up the combustion chamber of the heater, which is very hard to find & cost big $'s.

I also dont cover my BBQ, but its because i use it all year round!:cool:

It's been suggested to me by local exterminator, to use softener sheets or oil of peppermint to stop the mice. According to him mice are allergic to whatever is in the sheets and the peppermint. Every year they make a huge nest in the motor compartment of riding lawm mower. Not since I lay a few sheets on top of motor

My #1 problem has been mice eating up the combustion chamber of the heater, which is very hard to find & cost big $'s.

I saw a snake this summer underneath the heater (heater wasn't running). It seemed like he was just sleeping under it. Maybe he'd just polished off a mouse.

It's been suggested to me by local exterminator, to use softener sheets or oil of peppermint to stop the mice. According to him mice are allergic to whatever is in the sheets and the peppermint. Every year they make a huge nest in the motor compartment of riding lawm mower. Not since I lay a few sheets on top of motor

Thanks for the info. I was thinking mothballs but I like your method better.

My pool equipment (filter, heater, and pump) is all located outside at the side of the house under a cover of some trees and bushes. This has made it a bit of a pain to access them during the summer, but I’m thinking it will provide some protection during the winter.

My question is - Is it recommended to get actual covers for any or all of these pieces of equipment? If so, can anyone recommend what kind of cover?

A few years ago I came across a guy online who custom makes covers for pool pumps and heaters, etc. So I sent him all the measurements and so forth and he made these really nice covers with velcro straps, etc. that fit well over the top of the heater and pump. He even had little cutaways in the material where the PVC line comes into the pump, so I was quite impressed with the detail.

I don't disconnect my pump and take it inside. Not that it isn't a good idea to do so, but I just don't bother with it and have never had any problems the following spring. What I like about the cover on the heater especially is that when the blizzards and snow storms come, I don't have a foot or two of snow right on the open top area of the heater where the fan is. Of course, even with the pump covered, the entire area including the filter occasionally gets completely buried under feet of snow and ice....sometimes for months at a time. Prior to finding the guy who makes the covers, I used to just cut a piece of old solid-mesh winter pool cover that I had, put it over the top of the heater, and tie pieces of twine all around the sides and across the top to hold it in place. As to how necessary it truly is to cover equipment, I really can't say.

Hi all - thanks for all your suggestions, especially about the mice. I'll definitely get some of that peppermint oil or use drier sheets.

It's also good to know that if I don't get around to covering the equipment it won't spontaneously combust. It does get some cover from the surrounding trees, so it should do better than just sitting out in the open.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All HVAC companies will tell you NOT to cover your outside units - for all the reasons mentioned above. It won't dry out properly and it creates a nice space for mice to hide for the winter (and wires to chew on while in hiding).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.