SLAMing While Filling?

Sep 24, 2016
Germantown
Hey there TFP. Another new pool owner who wishes they would have found this forum before the pool guy and pool store got me to shock the living daylights out of my pool without concern for CYA.

The short..when we moved into the house, the pool "people" just told me to keep our chlorinator full of pucks...we did. It was clear and balanced for 3 months. Over Labor Day we used the pool a lot, and all the sudden we had cloudy, but a little tint to the water. But, chlorine levels were a tad high if anything. I am an obsessive tester. Almost a month later with no luck, and I have drained off 75% of my pool and am in the process of filling it back up.

I am positive it is mustard algae. And it's still forming in the pool as it fills. My question is, can I stop the filling process and SLAM the pool with less water in it to save money? I have got the CYA down around 50 as its been refilling and I'm guessing will drop some more. Or should I fill it completely, balance, and then SLAM so it gets the steps, ladders, and such.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: The tricky part with what you asked is not knowing the exact volume (gallons) of water. Your CYA test should remain the same since adding water to existing CYA won't change, but knowing how much bleach to add based on an estimated gallon amount might get tricky. I would be more inclined to continue filling so that the bleach can penetrate all surfaces of the pool, not just where the waterline stopped during the fill process. While it's filling, this might be a good time to remove, dismantle, or inspect the ladder/steps really well as those are troublesome areas. If you have a large pool light, don't forget to check behind it as well (with power off) in the light niche. Good luck, and welcome to TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.