Chlorine Free Shock

Aug 24, 2016
HICKSVILLE, NY
What is the argument for Chlorine Free Shock prior to closing? I noticed the pool stores pushing this in their winterizing kits. I had intended to dump bleach into my pool to bring it up to shock level several days before closing. Is there a better way?

That's one of the issues we have with pool store advice who advocate products that either are not needed or not ideal for a specific pool type/situation. If you do a quick search for "chlorine free shock" here on the site, you'll see many good discussions about why it's not the most ideal product for pool owners to use. If you stick to regular bleach and the link Bob provided you'll do fine. Have a nice day.

Thank-you both. I read that "closing thread" carefully. At no point does anyone refer to non-chlorine shock. My plan is to shock with bleach, and wait 3 days, or however long it takes the chlorine level to come down to 6 or 7 ppm. The night before closing day, I'll pour in the Polyquat60 and run the pump till morning with the valve on recirculate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.