SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Gradually over the season my TA has dropped from 70 to 50 due to dilution from rain (had to pump out excess water on several occasions this season; not unusual for here). As usual, pH has remained very stable, 7.4-7.5, the entire season without having to add any MA.

Is there any reason I would need to adjust TA back up to 70? Or just leave it where it is?

Thanks. :)

Edit: if it matters, borate is at about 40ppm per today's test.

Leave it at 50 and do a happy dance. The only reason to raise TA is if your pH has wild spikes up or down. 50 is fine for lots of pools. 40 is often too low. Your pH will tell you if you need to adjust TA. If pH gets jumpy raise TA 10 with baking soda.

Leave it at 50 and do a happy dance. The only reason to raise TA is if your pH has wild spikes up or down. 50 is fine for lots of pools. 40 is often too low. Your pH will tell you if you need to adjust TA. If pH gets jumpy raise TA 10 with baking soda.

Thanks. I was thinking TA is fine as long as pH is stable.

That brings up another question I have about TA and testing frequency. It's normal for my pool's pH to stay stable at 7.4-7.5 all season without having to add acid. Even so, I test TA once a month to see where it is. If pH is stable, is there still a reason to test TA on any regular basis?

Yes, it's still good to test all items at some point, even if we do stretch the frequency out a bit. One reason is new fill water. Many of us have water that has an elevated alkalinity content, so it's natural that with evaporation over time, and constant refills to the pool, that TA could creep-up on us.

I figured I'd give an update......

pH started dropping so I adjusted pH and TA back up to where they normally are (pH 7.5, TA 70). So apparently TA of 50 is a little low for my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.