Scotch Plains, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
Hi! So I am about to close my pool and since I got scale build up when I opened this spring, I want to prevent scaling when closing. I am considering adding a jack magic product as suggested by a friend. However, I am not sure which product is right as they seem to be very similar. Can someone that has knowledge of the products advice what is the difference between JACK MAGIC PURPLE VS MAGENTA STUFF?

I believe the PURPLE product is HEDP based (phosphonate) while the MAGENTA product is PAC based (polyacrylic acid). Both work on calcium scale but the PAC based sequestrant is better in high TDS (salt water generator) environments. The HEDP based sequestrant breaks down over time and forms orthophosphates (PO4) which is algae food (nutrients). In a stagnant water environment such as a closed pool, not having any additional sources of nutrients in the water is probably the most optimal approach so you could then use the MAGENTA stuff since PAC simply breaks down into carbon compounds (such as dissolved CO2).

Lowering your TA as much as is practical will help in preventing scale. What are your latest test results?

Hi Matt!

My latest test results are as follows:

FC 4
PH 7.4
TA 60
CH 475 I know is high...I have hard water so I always monitor to make sure my CSI is within limits
CYA 60 Getting it up to 80 soon I ordered stabilizer.
CC 0
Salinity 3300

Hi Matt!

My latest test results are as follows:

FC 4
PH 7.4
TA 60
CH 475 I know is high...I have hard water so I always monitor to make sure my CSI is within limits
CYA 60 Getting it up to 80 soon I ordered stabilizer.
CC 0
Salinity 3300

Haha, got you beat there - my CH is north of 950ppm...but no scale at all....

Your numbers look really good. Your CSI is -0.4 (a bit negative, but ok since your pH will no doubt rise over winter). You can add the magenta stuff and it should work fine. Calcium carbonate is actually more soluble in cold water than hot water, so I think you will be fine. As I said, your pH is likely to climb as the pool sits stagnant, so there's no need to really adjust anything.

As far as CYA goes, if no one is using the pool then I see no reason to raise the CYA. As the weather cools, your FC demand is going to decrease a lot and there's no need to keep the SWG running. I find that switching over to manual chlorination with bleach is easier once the water temps get below 70F. So you can save the CYA for the spring time when you open and rebalance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.