Newbie pool closing

Sep 5, 2015
Smithtown, NY
My apologies for posting here, but I'm getting quite a bit frustrated with the line clearing process. Hopefully the attached picture will suffice in helping those visualize what I'm trying to describe. I consulted with my pool company, pool store, and youtube and I'm pretty darn confused.

I SLAM'ed the pool, dropped the water line four inches below skimmer and attached gizmo extensions to both skimmer boxes. I kept my pump on "filter" mode, leaving it off of course. I attempted to blow the shallow end skimmer returns by shutting of my main drain intake and deep end return. This produced some water flow. However, I didnt have any return plugs, so ran to the pool store to buy them (5 minutes). While I was gone, I left the filter on waste, to drop my water level an additional inch. When I returned, the filter was "filter" and not "waste". Now when I attempt to do any clearing, I'm getting very little water blowing out the returns.

As for the main drain, I have no idea how to blow that out. I closed my skimmer intake and deep end return while blowing air through one of the shallow end returns thinking this might funnel its way through the system and out the main drain... no dice. This is probably an incorrect procedure to begin with. For now I covered with a leaf net and thought I'd look here for advice before calling in a pro.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20160924_095931.jpg
    20160924_095931.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 124
Some people make a face plate for the top of the pump and connect a blower to that. It looks like you have a union between the return lines and that chlorinator (or whatever it is). You could disconnect that union and blow into that,, the air would blow back through the pump (keep your skimmer line closed),, that should produce bubbles to your main drain.

Let's back up a little bit. Your post is a little confusing.

Question: You put Gizmo's in the skimmer and then tried pushing air?
Question: You put your port on Waste, left for 5 minutes and came back to filter? Can not happen as the multi-port locks in.
Question: Is your water below the return jets (eyeballs)?
Question: What did you use to blow out the lines and from where?
Question: How many skimmers, main drains and returns do you have?
Question: Approximately how far is the main drain, last return, furthest skimmer to the pump housing?

Lastly, please shut your skimmers off from the Jandy Valve, turn on the filter (prime system first and add water if necessary). Make sure you are on filter or recirculate. You will be pulling water from the main drain. If everything is working fine and water is circulating (you have pressure), then we can help you close your pool.

Considering the water is below the skimmers, did you blow out the skimmer lines as well? If not, you will need to remove the Gizmo's, blow out the skimmer line(s) and then move on to the main drain. Your returns can be done one at a time. No need to call a professional in until you have to. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Let's back up a little bit. Your post is a little confusing.

Question: You put Gizmo's in the skimmer and then tried pushing air?
Question: You put your port on Waste, left for 5 minutes and came back to filter? Can not happen as the multi-port locks in.
Question: Is your water below the return jets (eyeballs)?
Question: What did you use to blow out the lines and from where?
Question: How many skimmers, main drains and returns do you have?
Question: Approximately how far is the main drain, last return, furthest skimmer to the pump housing?

Lastly, please shut your skimmers off from the Jandy Valve, turn on the filter (prime system first and add water if necessary). Make sure you are on filter or recirculate. You will be pulling water from the main drain. If everything is working fine and water is circulating (you have pressure), then we can help you close your pool.

Considering the water is below the skimmers, did you blow out the skimmer lines as well? If not, you will need to remove the Gizmo's, blow out the skimmer line(s) and then move on to the main drain. Your returns can be done one at a time. No need to call a professional in until you have to. Thanks!

Indeed it is a bit confusing. I wrote in a rush.

1. yes
2. I left it on filter accidentally. It didn't move while i was gone.
3. yes
4. a large shop vac. First from the gizmos. Then once those were cleared, I focused on main drain. This is where I'm encountering problems. Specifically, no bubbles rising from main drains.
5. 2 skimmers. 2 main drains. I sealed off the skimmer intake and all deep end returns at the pump station. Then I plugged all but one shallow end return. I tried hooking up my shop vac to blow from the single open return to the main drain. This did not work and seems a bit convoluted I admit.
6. I'd say at least 25 feet.
h this method?

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what's going on with this site, or my ability to use it, but all my responses to all commenters are appearing under catanzaro's post. Not ignoring anyone else. :D

Your post comments are under you. Try blowing air through the equipment pad for the main drain (if there is union) hard to tell from pictures. If not, you will need an npt fitting hooked up to an air compressor at pump housing basket (There should be a drain plug). Working from the skimmer will lengthen the run and with a shop vac I feel you will not have enough volume.

I am assuming your return lines and skimmers are now cleared of water (at least most of it) and your only concern is the main drain? If so, maybe borrowing a neighbor or friends air compressor may be best. Please set the PSI down to about 20 at most and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for the feedback. I will check to see if there is a union and/or check pump housing basket. Do you have a link for what I would need regarding a compressor attachment? I have a compressor, but would probably need to buy the fitting.

Your post comments are under you. Try blowing air through the equipment pad for the main drain (if there is union) hard to tell from pictures. If not, you will need an npt fitting hooked up to an air compressor at pump housing basket (There should be a drain plug). Working from the skimmer will lengthen the run and with a shop vac I feel you will not have enough volume.

I am assuming your return lines and skimmers are now cleared of water (at least most of it) and your only concern is the main drain? If so, maybe borrowing a neighbor or friends air compressor may be best. Please set the PSI down to about 20 at most and see if that does the trick.

Well that did the trick. I blew out the skimmer line first for good measure, then easily blew out the main drains after a few seconds. I let it run for a few minutes, detached the compressor and quickly reinserted the pump plug to maintain an air pocket.

main drain.jpg

Going to place a gallon of antifreeze in each of the skimmer gizmos and then seal it up.

My pool company left all the equipment out and in place last year. Some of my friends take everything in (pump, filter, SWG). Not sure if that's necessary.

Thanks for the feedback. I will check to see if there is a union and/or check pump housing basket. Do you have a link for what I would need regarding a compressor attachment? I have a compressor, but would probably need to buy the fitting.

I let it run for a few minutes, detached the compressor and quickly reinserted the pump plug to maintain an air pocket.

This is great work. Did you close the main drain jandy valve to create the "air lock"? Reinserting the plug may not maintain the air lock. You may want to do this again until you see bubbling (keep skimmer closed) and then turn valve to close the main drain. Do not worry about the skimmer as the water has been removed. As extra insurance you can open the pump basked and place a black rubber plug as back up insurance in the event the seal leaks during the winter. I place a black strap on the Jandy Valve so it does not move.

I have a plug and had to move the Jandy Valve 1/8" to lock it with the pins. I was not too concerned as I had to plug that keep the air lock in the piping. The key to all this is to keep the water below the frost line and air will stay in the piping during the winter. Keep us posted!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did indeed close the main drain valve, but only after reinserting the plug. Seems obvious now that you describe closing the valve rather than fiddling with trying to quickly screw back in the plug. I will look into acquiring an additional plug. I took in the entire pump in today so maybe I can get a cap for that exposed union. Thank you!

I did indeed close the main drain valve, but only after reinserting the plug

The main drain valve is closed and the "air lock" is created, then you quickly shut off blower/compressor not to build up pressure. Now, that you have the air locked, place the black plug as added insurance. That simple! Hardest part is having enough volume to move the water out of the main drain line, which is where most people run into a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.