Using Algaecide when winterizing

Jun 5, 2014
Marmora, New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I live in the North East and it's that time of the year again.. I was wondering if I am wasting my money by putting in winter algaecide. I normally just make sure the pool is balance and then add a winter algaecide and let circulate for a couple of hours prior to covering..

I have read the a lot of pool owners just super chlorinate or shock their pool prior to closing and that's it. Other will sometimes add a metal treat to try to sequester trace metals and inhibit some potential staining over the winter.

Thanks in advance
Blizz

I've only used Polyquat 60 once in the past 7 years of closing. After it had circulated a while, I tested my PH and it was an odd bright violet color that kind of freaked me out. I'm pretty OCD about my PH, so I decided not to use the polyquat the next year. We've always opened to a clear pool, except for maybe a snake or two and some worms. Usually I just clean the pool really good, balance everything, and shock it and then let it come down a bit, and close.

But as PoolDV said, it is recommended as an extra precaution. Since people use polyquat 60 with no problems, what happened with me was probably just something that could easily be explained with the odd color of my PH test.

Using polyquat 60 in the mid-Altantic region is very helpful especially if we get a warm spell in the late fall/early spring.

It is best to wait for the water to get to and stay below 60 degrees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.