the crack was found and caused a leak for intake of piping

Steven

May 30, 2009
Hi friends, I need your help again. Thanks in advance.
Water level was going down in my pool and a lot of air was generated in the pump. Today I dug out and found the crack in the piping line underground. A sharp stone was found underneath. It was believed it caused the crack. It was black and hard plastic pipe. Would you please tell me how to repair it, what kind of gule? and parts? Thanks a lot.

The best thing to do is read the writing on the pipe, if it is black, it is probably ABS. read the writing and go to a plumbing supply store and see about either a slip glue coupling or a stainless repair clamp you could wrap around it. It does require glue and primer for that type of pipe though. The clamp would be the easiest, and costliest fix. But probably still less than $20.

It's not necessarily ABS. Also, there are special couplings and solvents that should be used here. They require the use of heat from a torch to seal everything up. ABS glue and a coupling might not hold. I'd call a pool builder and have them do it.

I'm thinking you may have 'black poly' pipe, in which case primer and glue won't do any good. However Brad's idea of a torch would - you'd also need some stainless steel clamps and maybe a new barbed fitting.

Show me a pic of what's wrong and I'll tell you how to fix it :-D (or someone else will, if they log on before me :p )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.