Newly built pool

Dadof6

Sep 20, 2016
New Braunfels
Hello,

I have just built a 18x36 8ft deep vinyl pool that is about 22,000 gallons. I have a Hayward SWG rated for 40k gallons. I cannot keep the pool chlorinated. The pool store has tested the pool chemistry and the SWG, all look good. I was told at one point that I have high nitrates but was never given an amount. (It is the only item that is not listed on the printout.) Another time they said it was fine and the third time it was not measured before they dumped the water. There are several large pecan trees located near the pool. Is it possible that the nitrates are coming from the pecan trees and the chlorinator can't overcome them? Or is there something else going on? Should I test the nitrates myself/how? I am running the pump 8 hrs a day from 10 am to 6pm. Chlorine coming from the returns is about 4 ppm.

Here is the latest data I have:

FAC 1
TAC 1
Salt 3000
CH 180
CYA 60
TA 120
PH 7.6
Cu 0
Fe 0
Pho 100

Once I get the chlorine under control, I plan to add borates.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hey neighbor and welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm just down the road from you. Here's the situation .... pool store testing stinks and can be very misleading. Your #1 priority must be to get the PROPER test kit - either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. I highly recommend the TF-100 with "speed stir". With a SWG pool, you actually want a minimum CYA of 70 to preserve your FC generated by the SWG. Your FC should never go below 3 or else you get algae (green or cloudiness).

So for now, if your SWG can't maintain a higher FC level, augment with regular bleach - HEB Bravo or Wal-Mart Great Value and keep that FC around 3-5. Get yourself a TF-100 (link below) and re-post a full set of results. The nitrates are not a concern. It's all about your CYA and FC right now.

If you have anymore questions, just holler. Nice to have you with us.

Dad,

Welcome to TFP...

While you wait for your test kit recommended by Pat, tell me about your SWG.

You say you run your pump for 8 hours a day, but you did not mention at what percentage your SWG is set on. Two things to keep in mind that the amount of chlorine generated by the SWG is based upon the hours run and the % amount set on the SWG. I estimate that you'd have to run your SWG at 100% for those 8 hours to chlorinate your 22K pool. Each pool is different, so that is just a ballpark guess.

Also... SWG's are great about maintaining the FC level but they are really not made to take a pool, the size of yours, and bring it up from zero to 5 ppm. I suggest you add 2 1/2 jugs of 8.25% plain bleach to your pool now to get the FC up to 6 or so. Having very low chlorine level is just an invitation for algae to come a knocking... :brickwall:

Jim R.

Hey neighbor and welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm just down the road from you. Here's the situation .... pool store testing stinks and can be very misleading. Your #1 priority must be to get the PROPER test kit - either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. I highly recommend the TF-100 with "speed stir". With a SWG pool, you actually want a minimum CYA of 70 to preserve your FC generated by the SWG. Your FC should never go below 3 or else you get algae (green or cloudiness).

So for now, if your SWG can't maintain a higher FC level, augment with regular bleach - HEB Bravo or Wal-Mart Great Value and keep that FC around 3-5. Get yourself a TF-100 (link below) and re-post a full set of results. The nitrates are not a concern. It's all about your CYA and FC right now.

If you have anymore questions, just holler. Nice to have you with us.

Thanks for the advice. I have the kit on order and will update you soon. Going to swing by Wal-Mart tonight for some bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

Dad,

Welcome to TFP...

While you wait for your test kit recommended by Pat, tell me about your SWG.

You say you run your pump for 8 hours a day, but you did not mention at what percentage your SWG is set on. Two things to keep in mind that the amount of chlorine generated by the SWG is based upon the hours run and the % amount set on the SWG. I estimate that you'd have to run your SWG at 100% for those 8 hours to chlorinate your 22K pool. Each pool is different, so that is just a ballpark guess.

Also... SWG's are great about maintaining the FC level but they are really not made to take a pool, the size of yours, and bring it up from zero to 5 ppm. I suggest you add 2 1/2 jugs of 8.25% plain bleach to your pool now to get the FC up to 6 or so. Having very low chlorine level is just an invitation for algae to come a knocking... :brickwall:

Jim R.

The SWG is set to 100%. It was working fine at 30% (FC at 3ppm) before the leaves began falling. I am heading to Wal-Mart tonight to get hte bleach. Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to update you.

Got my test kit. Raised the CYA. It's a little high now, 100, will this hurt anything? I figure it will go down over time as I backwash and the kids splash it out. SWG is working like a champ now. However, it looks like I have a mild case of MA. Should I SLAM the pool or just let it work it's way out with higher than normal FC and brushing? Or use something like yellow-out?

Here are my numbers from yesterday. After running the SWG for 24 hrs on 100%, my chlorine increased from 3.6 to 7.6.

FC 7.6
CC 0.5
pH 7.6
TA 100
CH 150
CYA 100

I will complete a OCLT tomorrow night and let you know what the results are.

Dad,

Other than your CYA, that looks pretty good to me. My "guess", based on your FC increase from 3 to 7, is that you don't have a problem with algae. But that is just a guess and the OCLT will tell us for sure.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had a 2ppm drop in FC overnight. 7ppm to 5ppm.

Other than the OCLT night the pump runs 24/7 and the chlorinator is set to 50%. The water is starting to clear but I still have a yellow residue on the pool floor in the mornings. There are several very large pecan trees (30-80 y/o) nearby that drop leaves debris into the pool continuously this time of year. I think I am dealing with residue from the debris and not algae. Is there anyway to know for sure?

I backwash every 10psi to keep the sand filter as clean as possible and prevent the circulation of whatever particles that get through.

Latest results

FC 7.0
CC 0.5
pH 7.6
TA 120
CH 220
CYA 90

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I SLAMed the pool Sunday morning and have brought the FC back up to Shock level twice more now. The algae has been gone now for 2 mornings but I still have cloudiness in the water. It's clear, I can see the bottom 8 feet below but it's just not crystal clear. Do I need to keep adding bleach or will the filter eventually clear it up? I have gone through 18 bottles so far.

Thanks,

Dad,

The SLAM instructions say...

You are done when:
• CC is 0.5 or lower;
• You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
• And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Also need to keep an eye on your filter pressure and make sure to backwash when it goes up by 25% over your clean pressure.

Jim R.

Will do, after the latest Algae bloom! :(

Have realized now that the pool needs run 24/7 after we mow to keep the FC up (SWG) with the amount of organic material it takes in (skimmer socks come out black), we may have to supplement with bleach also on these days. Luckily we won't be mowing much anymore this year. Caught it early this time so, don't think it will take very long to kill it.

Picture to come in a few days.