Pre-disolving CYA

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Tried something new, put cya in a 5 gallon bucket and filled it with water, 6 hours later there is still a bunch at the bottom. Also this stuff never seems to disolve 100%. I can still see tiny little particles floating in the water. So when is it considered 100% disolved so i can pour into the pool?

It never will, that is why we do not recommend that method and suggest putting it in a sock and suspending it in front of a return jet or putting the sock in the skimmer. It needs water flow, and frequent squeezing to get it to dissolve.

Ok so this bucket of cya isa bust? I have more i can use, i have doen the sock method, just thought i would try this out.

Most is disolved. So its either stir it and dump it or down the drain and then back to the sock.

As Woodyp said, just pour it in and circulate. It hasn't gone bad or anything; just not very soluble in a relatively small volume of water, as you found. If you search the forum, you'll find that a number of people have tried pre-dissolving CYA. Even in hot water it isn't a great success.

Tried something new, put cya in a 5 gallon bucket and filled it with water, 6 hours later there is still a bunch at the bottom. Also this stuff never seems to disolve 100%. I can still see tiny little particles floating in the water. So when is it considered 100% disolved so i can pour into the pool?

You have what is known as a "saturated solution". You may be successful with a larger bucket, unless the undissolved is not really cyn but some undissolved contaminant. You could see the same thing with a glass of water and trying to dissolve sugar or salt.

I have to say that I know where this method has worked. They hung the CYA in a sock in the bucket so they could still squeeze the sock. Then, periodically, they would scoop out the solution and add it to the pool. Then add more water to the bucket, etc. until it was all dissolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.