Leak in return line causing lines not to be winterize-able

Jul 10, 2015
MA, USA
Hi guys,

I live in New England and hire someone to close my pool (in ground, vinyl lined, DE filtered) because I'm not very knowledgeable about pools beyond basic maintenance. Earlier in the year I thought the pool might have a small leak as I noticed the water level going down but I wasn't 100% sure and it wasn't causing any problems (I could still run the filter and vacuum) so I didn't look into it further.

However, when the pool was being closed, I was told that there is a leak in one of the return lines so they couldn't fully winterize the lines. I didn't get the details, but something about how blowing the air through them wasn't working as it should. They said I had to call a leak detection company to get it fixed before it could be fully closed. I've called someone but it will be a few weeks before he can come out and look at it, let alone fix it. Everyone seems very busy this time of year.

My concern is that he won't get here before things freeze. I'm not sure how cold it actually has to get before the lines could potentially freeze and crack. As a temporary solution (in case he can't get here soon enough), would draining the water level to below all the return jets solve the problem of the lines breaking if things freeze? I know this is not the best solution but I want to understand my options. I would think if I drain the water below the lines, there would be no water in them, hence no chance of freezing/cracking.

Thank you for any advice.

I can't help on the closing issue, we don't do that here, but I have experienced multiple underground plumbing failures, and just wanted to wish you the best of luck locating and repairing it.

Yes, if you drain below the returns, that should protect you but it may not be necessary right now to do so. What are the air and water temps right now? When do you start getting >12 hrs of freezing air temperature?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.