Added Borates - how longto wait to test?

Jun 1, 2008
NW MO
OK, I added the borates today by using MA & borax.

Prior to the additions, my tests were:

pH = 7.5
TA = 70

About 4 hours after the addition, my tests were:

pH = 7.8
TA = 90

I used the pool calculator to determine how much of each I needed to add.

According to the adding borates instructions, it says to wait 48 hours to test. I am assuming this is meaning to wait to test the borate level, but are my post pH and TA tests reliable?

I spent a long time getting my TA down and the pH back up that I am surprised that the TA had a net increase of 20 when the additions were supposed to have a net increase of 0 - or did I misunderstand something?

Yes, I have read through that post several times. What I don't know is if I need to wait to test the pH and Alk for 48 hours along with the borates, or if I should adjust them right away. If my numbers are reliable, I have more work to do to lower my TA again.

wait 48 hours to make any ajustments to the pH. I would not worry about the increase in TA since it is not carbonate alkalinity but borate alkalinity and will not have the same effect (much like ajusting TA for the CYA level because cyanurates also add to the total alkaliniyt but have no effect on pH buffering. However the amount of alkalinity added by both cyanurates and borates is not really enought to worry about agt normol levels of these chemicals. If you lowered your TA to the recommended range BEFORE you added the borates then just adjust the pH after 48 hours and you are golden! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.