Virginia Beach, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
12 inches of rain in the last 5 days has led to 2 questions.

1. When the water rises to the top of the pool is there any damage to a running pump? I turned it off overnight, when I knew the rain would bring the water level back to the top.

2. Will somebody explain this? One night I got the bright idea to leave the filter selector switch on Waste before cutting the pump power on the circuit breaker in the garage so I wouldn't have to brave the storm to drop the water level the next morning. To my surprise, the storm broke and the water level had dropped below the skimmer by morning.

Let's just skip the comedic irony of filling a pool after 12 inches of rain, on a lake that has flooded 1/3 of the back yard. :rolleyes:

CYA level should be great, though.

Attachments

• IMG_3758.jpg
    IMG_3758.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 44

Bendra, you'll be fine. What happens when your pool water level gets too high is that your poolside skimmer becomes inefficient. What you may want to confirm is that your pump and equipment pad don't become flooded. That's when you definitely want to cut the power and/or maybe even disconnect the pump to keep the motor from getting wet inside. The only other concern sometimes for some pools is when the water level start to overflow the pool, that water may try to sneak into the coping or sides of the pool behind a liner or concrete. But from the pic your pool looks pretty solid. Pumping to waste was a good idea .... for a short while. :brickwall: ha ha.

What happened when you left the filter on waste was that it siphoned the water out of the pool even though the pump was off. Once it got below the skimmer it lost suction and the siphoning stopped.

Aha! Of course the Waste and Rinse are open connections. I've never left them unattended before. I didn't think about gravity.
On the other hand, in situations like this when we lose power, it's good to know that I can still drop the water level.
Thanks.