Polaris Stuck in corner

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
Not sure what it's officially called, but half the shallow end of my pool is around 18 inches deep, then there are two steps that span the entire width of the pool and lead into like a 4ft shallow end which slowly slopes off the 9ft deep end.

My Polaris is constantly stuck on the left side, trying to get up that first step. Sometimes it makes it up the first step and gets stuck on the second step. Very rarely does it ever make it up to the 18 inch shallow deck. It's starting to rub a spot on the plaster in this area where the wheels just constantly churn on it until it kicks into reverse which gets it unstuck and heading in the other direction until it ultimately gets back to that same spot. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Aside from buying another cleaner, does anybody have any neat tricks or tips for this problem (which i'm guessing is common).

Generally a Polaris doesn't like steps so the fact that is not climbing does not surprise me.

How old is this baby? I'd look at the wheels are they worn or rough?

They sell various factory rebuild kits that are not cheap but replace things like the wheels which may help with your problem

You might try adjusting the thruster jet downwards giving the cleaner a little more lift, or just remove some hose so the cleaner won't reach to the steps. But as was posted, the Polaris wasn't designed to clean steps or shallow shelfs

I'm not sure how old it is, I inherited it when I bought the house/pool. It seems to be in pretty good shape and doesn't look ancient.

I was thinking about replacing the tread on the wheels. I usually just brush the shelf and stairs into the rest of the pool and let the polaris pickup the debris out in the main part of the pool. So i'm really not worried about it climbing the stairs, I'd like to just keep in from getting stuck and more importantly rubbing spots on my plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.