Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH staying up

1. Back To Top    #1

pH staying up

I am having a problem with my pH staying around 7.8 this year. The water is perfect otherwise. I would just like to see the pH hold around 7.4. I am adding muriatic acid about once a week to adjust. I have added a liquidator this year instead of daily dosing with bleach. Any suggestions?
    20 x 40 IG vinyl liner, 2 skimmer, 8 gallon liquidator, in Tennessee

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH staying up

What is your TA?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

ta 100
    cl 3
    stabilizer 40

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, if pH rising too much is a problem, the usual answer is to lower TA. Since you said "this year" I'm assuming it's not a new plaster situation. Do you have a waterfall or other water features that could be aerating? That will tend to make pH increase as well.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the same problem jinnbake. Seems to always draw up to 7.8 and my TA bounces between 70-80, I have no aeration either. I don't know how high it will go because I drop it at that point. Going to watch this thread to see if we can learn something.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

6. Back To Top    #6

No, no waterfall or other water feature. I also have a vinyl liner. I, too, don't know how high the pH will rise because once it hits 7.8 I lower it. I guess it is not a huge promblem....just wondering if there is anything I can do to stabilize it.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

My pool wants to be at 7.8pH. I have no idea why but that's fine with me. If my pool is happy within acceptable parameters (and 7.8 is acceptable) then I am very happy, too.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

It is normal for a pool to rise to a pH of around 8.2 when there are bicarbonates (TA) in the water. This is what the bicarbonate buffer does and where it wants to rest. By lowering the TA you can slow this process down but you don't eliminate it! By adding borates you add a secondary buffer that is trying to lower the pH so the pH rides at about 7.7 for quite a while but the bicarbonate buffer eventually 'wins' and the pH rises higher than that.