new pool in Panama City FL, help!

Just moved back east after 4 years on the west coast. We just installed a 27 foot round pool with aluminum walls and rails. We paid a little more for alum because we intend to use the salt system we had from a previous pool [hoping it still works] we filled our pool from our well [which unfortunately had a lot of iron in it] The pool people sold my wife on pristene blue so she spent $$$ on all their chemicals, which I plan on returning, hopefully they will take it back since we bought the pool from them. The ph is pretty low so they recommended getting the ph right and adding pristine check and backwashing after 24 hours before we add anything else.. my wife was in Lowes so she bought 8 lbs of ph up [sodium carbonate] . we put that in and the ph is still low, but the alkalinity is coming up. they also suggested starting a floater with a chlorine tab. so she bought a tub of chlorox active 99 [trichlor]. the water turned a greenish brown, so obviously we have a reaction going on. before I do anything else I need some advice. I am guessing we need a product that will help get the iron out.

It sounds like you have metals in the water. Water that turns a clear green soon after adding chlorine is a good indication. When you have iron in the water, you need to use sequestrant to bind to the iron and prevent it from depositing as stains. Unfortunately, sequestrant breaks down over time, so you need to be constantly adding more. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. Also, it will help to keep your pH between 7.2 - 7.4. Note that sequenstrants will not remove iron, but rather keep it in suspension so the water stays clear and metal stains are not deposited on the pool surface.