High ph issues

Aug 10, 2014
pawhuska ok
OK, so I live in an area that has had high ph issues in years past, and it appears is starting to again. Maybe it never stopped, and I just wasn't noticing it. Fresh out of the tap, my ph is around 7.5, which it was when I refilled and restarted my pool earlier in the summer. I figured ok, a little off, but just a couple points, not anything to worry about. Over the last month, I have been battling algae, so chlorine has been high enough that I did not test ph. Last week chlorine came down below 5, so tested ph. It was up to 8.2! The only thing I have ever added to my pool has been bleach and stabilizer at the beginning, to get cya up to 40. I put in 12 oz of ph down that I had around the house from last year, checked ph an hour later, added another 12 oz, then another. By then it was getting dark and needed to add more bleach, so left off with the ph issue for a few days as it seemed to be coming down to like 7.8. Checked it again yesterday, and it was still 8.2. Added the rest of the bottle of ph down. So running the full gamut of tests today:
Ph 8.2
TA 170
CH 225
FC 5
CYA out of reagent, should still be close to 40 since I have not removed water other than dirty water from filter. Takes about 2 to 3 days for chlorine to drop.
I know the cure to high TA is to reduce PH, but if it just bounces back up, there has to be something else I should be doing? Just for grins, tested tap water CH is 150.
Thank you!

Just sounds like you have not been adding enough acid to keep the pH in check.
With the high TA, that makes the pH rise even faster.
As you keep dropping the pH back down, the TA should also slowly go down, which will in turn slow the pH rise rate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.