Re: Power Light Suddenly off on SWG

Sep 13, 2016
Columbus/GA

Finally, got the new pool up and running this week, installers went ahead and put the salt in, other chemicals, etc...and I figured I'd start learning from there.

Went to turn on the pump today and noticed the "no flow" light was on the SWG. I think it's been on the entire time this week.

So I did some searching on this page and others and gave the sensor a turn and the no flow went away. A few minutes later the "inspect cell" light came on. So I figured since it's been so long since it had been used I'd take it off, give it a rinse with the hose and check for scale. (there was none). I reset the inspect cell holding down the diagnostic button.

After that, the "no flow" blinked indicating a time delay and then the generate light came on for a few seconds. Now, there's nothing on, and the power light which had been working isn't working either. Attempted to turn off and repeat this process and the same occurred again.

I checked the fuse on the motherboard, and it appears to be in good shape. Any other ideas on what it could be? I'm wondering if somehow the power connection on the actual cell got loose when I went to clean it? Any fixes if that were to be the case? I'm including a picture of the motherboard. Not sure if that can be of any use? Motherboard.jpg

Probably a bad thermistor (current limiter). Black disk upper right between display board and red wire.

Can you post the diagnostic readings?

Quote from the OP..."Finally, got the new pool up and running this week"

My bad, I assumed new meant "new".

Quote from the OP..."Finally, got the new pool up and running this week"

My bad, I assumed new meant "new".
Yes, I should've been more clear.

@James, I'll work on getting those this afternoon. I'm guessing it could be the limiter too. Just not sure if it's that or the actual cell. Think I'll have to take off the motherboard to see if there are any burns on it, or anywhere else. Really hoping I don't end up having to replace the cell, but it may just come down to that.

The cell is not causing the problem that you're reporting. The cell might be good or bad but you won't be able to tell until the system is working.

If the voltage is below 30 when not generating or below 22 when generating, it's almost definitely the thermistor.

You can tell the age of you box and cell by the first four of the serial number. 3E10 would mean three year warranty on a cell made in 2010.

3A10 would mean a 3 year warranty on a box made in 2010.

The best way to evaluate the cell is to compare the box salt reading to a known good salt reading. Within 800 good. Box reading more than 800 low cell bad or failing.

The cell is not causing the problem that you're reporting. The cell might be good or bad but you won't be able to tell until the system is working.

If the voltage is below 30 when not generating or below 22 when generating, it's almost definitely the thermistor.

You can tell the age of you box and cell by the first four of the serial number. 3E10 would mean three year warranty on a cell made in 2010.

3A10 would mean a 3 year warranty on a box made in 2010.

The best way to evaluate the cell is to compare the box salt reading to a known good salt reading. Within 800 good. Box reading more than 800 low cell bad or failing.

Great Advice! Thank you. The serial number on the cell was 3E 1001 - I'm guessing that means it's a 2010, so probably in need of replacement? I'll have to look at the box again to try and find that number, but I'd be wiling to wager they were put in at the same time.

I finally got those numbers on the diagnostics. As I cycle through pressing the diagnostics button here is what it shows:
68P
A4.0
r 1.55
t9

Probably a bad thermistor. Try moving the switch to auto and then go to instant salt (the one with the "-" sign).

Also, it's in metric. To change back, go to temperature and move the switch from auto to superchlorinate and back to auto.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Probably a bad thermistor. Try moving the switch to auto and then go to instant salt (the one with the "-" sign).

Also, it's in metric. To change back, go to temperature and move the switch from auto to superchlorinate and back to auto.

A lot of what I've read seems to indicate it could be the Thermistor too. I'm not real familiar with soldering, etc., but was thinking of trying that as a fix, and trying to learn to solder since it's not an expensive part.

How do I figure out which Thermistor I need?

Last edited:

AS322R025 or SL322R025 will work.
Check volts while generating. If volts fall below about 22 while generating, it's probably the thermistor.

If you can't solder, you can find someone local that can, like an electronics repair shop .

If you want, you can just replace the circuit board. GLX-PCB-RITE is the part number.

Note that the current board is configured for 120 volts. New boards come configured for 240 volts. If you replace the board, and your power supply is 120, then you have to move the jumpers from how they come to how yours are now. And you would need to change the tcell type in diagnostics.

If you can't solder, you can find someone local that can, like an electronics repair shop .

If you want, you can just replace the circuit board. GLX-PCB-RITE is the part number.

Note that the current board is configured for 120 volts. New boards come configured for 240 volts. If you replace the board, and your power supply is 120, then you have to move the jumpers from how they come to how yours are now. And you would need to change the tcell type in diagnostics.

Figure I may as well try the repair first. Went ahead and ordered the Thermistor and a soldering iron. Been watching the youtube videos on how to do it. I'll update how it goes.

In the meantime, I'm using my new test kit and the TFP method to keep the pool clean with liquid bleach. Any problems forseeable with this option?

Currently:
CYA was 45
So I brought the pool up to 6 FC based on the FC/CYA chart .
PH was 7.7

I don't have a salt test, but it was just put in two weeks ago when the installers "balanced" the pool. So I'm guessing it's around 3000 ppm.

Last edited:

The easiest way to replace the thermistor is to avoid soldering directly on the circuit board. Just clip the legs of the old one and wrap them around the new one and solder there. It will leave the new thermistor standing away from the circuit board parallel to the board. Much easier to do and provides better cooling. Just be sure that it's kept clear of other components and the case.

The easiest way to replace the thermistor is to avoid soldering directly on the circuit board. Just clip the legs of the old one and wrap them around the new one and solder there. It will leave the new thermistor standing away from the circuit board parallel to the board. Much easier to do and provides better cooling. Just be sure that it's kept clear of other components and the case.

Alright, I like that idea. seems like i'd be less likely to mess that up.

Well the new soldering job was a success. Removed the entire thermistor (after trying to solder the new wires to the old ones), and attached the new wires directly to the board. Reinstalled the motherboard and the Power light now comes now. The generator works for a little while before the "INSPECT CELL" light illuminates (not flashes).

I took the cell off, and ran the water hose through it with pressure. I can't see any scale, but I also am not 100% sure what I'm looking for. Any other suggestions, or do I need to be planning to buy a new cell now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.