Stripped drain plug on pool pump housing

I fixed one with JB Weld. Of course, you'll never be able to open that drain again, but I never used it anyway.

I actually removed my plugs last year (closed myself). First year, the pool company removed them. This year, I am leaving them in the pump housing as I do not need them to close the pool. Of course they are not the best of quality. Even with the cover on, plugs out, heavy rain and snow, there were no water issues or damage. I really see no need to remove the plug(s) unless you are using an air compressor. Personally, I used Teflon tape and did not over tighten them.

So yeah, I did this. I guess it's actually on the pool pump basket itself, not really the housing.

Anyone successfully fix this? Because another PP housing is like $250 and I've already bought it once before.

My threads are shot also, the way I finally got it to stop leaking was doubling up a piece of plastic Baggie and the threads finally held. Basically I just made the drain screw fatter .

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a tap and die set, would retapping really work? It wouldn't make the hole too big?

Sure it'll work as long as you do it carefully and you have enough plastic to work with. Just make sure you get it started nice and straight and remember to make like 1 turn clockwise and then 1/2 turn counter clockwise over and over until you're done. If you really boogered up your threads you might have to go to the next bigger size in which case you'll have to find a larger plug. Remove the housing (or the whole pump) as doing it upside down is a recipe for failure (unless you're just cleaning up your threads). Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it's just a broken off plug, sharpen the end of a flat screwdriver, heat it up with a flame or torch and then tap it into the plastic plug with a hammer. Allow a minute to cool and then unscrew.

Make sure to center the screwdriver so that you don't touch the threads. Tap gently with the hammer.

Reactions: neutral0
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.