Advice for first time pool buyer

Sep 13, 2016
Watkins Glen, NY
So we want to get a 12ft round pool, we were hoping to do semi-inground but turns out we can't do that where we want it so we will be looking for a 48 inch deep one with a deck all around. We want to do saltwater chlorination. Could someone tell me what they recommend to someone starting out with a pool this size? like what is a good saltwater system? We still need a filter with that, correct? So what would be a good filter? And we have a toddler so we want safety. Is there a safety pool cover for day to day use or is that just something you use over winter? What safety features do you suggest with a toddler? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help!

Most of the 12' pools are 30-36" deep. With a actual depth of 28 or so. A lockable fence and gate, with removable ladder. You will hate having to constantly move a cover. Unless you rig up a reel. Safety wise you have to tie the cover to the rails (pain in the butt). I went back and forth with depth and size for a 7yr old. I'm glad I went bigger. I got a 52" and water is 46" deep. My pool has only ever had bleach, borax, and stabilizer. TFP METHOD Is the best!!!

Our first 'real' pool was an Intex Ultra Frame 14'x42". It was perfect when our son was 5-6. I upgraded it with an Intex 1600 gph pump and sand filter and the Intex SWG.

Most of the 12' pools are 30-36" deep. With a actual depth of 28 or so. A lockable fence and gate, with removable ladder. You will hate having to constantly move a cover. Unless you rig up a reel. Safety wise you have to tie the cover to the rails (pain in the butt). I went back and forth with depth and size for a 7yr old. I'm glad I went bigger. I got a 52" and water is 46" deep. My pool has only ever had bleach, borax, and stabilizer. TFP METHOD Is the best!!!

What is the TFP method?

Good to know how much more shallow the water is than the height of the pool, maybe we will go 52" I'm looking at 3 different ones in the 48-52 inch depth

- - - Updated - - -

We're looking for something with a long life span since we are going to deck all the way around it. Do the intex hold up well? And can you leave them out all winter up north?

The legs on an Intex will begin to rust out after 3 or 4 years. I just plan on a full replacement every 4 years or so. But at the price these things go for, I have no problem with that.

If your decking would make it difficult to tear down and set up a new one, you should probably consider something more permanent.

I would certainly consider starting out with an Intex ultraframe pool, and go from there. Maybe deck only on one side, then if you see you want a bigger pool you might expand out and build a deck around that assuming you have the room.

I would certainly consider starting out with an Intex ultraframe pool, and go from there. Maybe deck only on one side, then if you see you want a bigger pool you might expand out and build a deck around that assuming you have the room.

What is the benefit of starting out with a frame pool? We have a small yard so we can't get a 15 ft pool without taking up about 95% of the yard. We'd like to have the deck room for sitting around the pool. (We have a second larger yard but it is almost all shade and we don't want to give up the space there anyway.)

I was working under the impression that if you have enough yard to fit a deck all the way around the pool, then you likely had space for a larger pool. If you are working with a truly small space this is a link to a thread on someone squeezing a 12 ft pool into a very small space Small DIY 12'x48 AGP...(UK) I think it gives a lot of ideas on what is possible with proper space management.

Ike

I was working under the impression that if you have enough yard to fit a deck all the way around the pool, then you likely had space for a larger pool. If you are working with a truly small space this is a link to a thread on someone squeezing a 12 ft pool into a very small space Small DIY 12'x48 AGP...(UK) I think it gives a lot of ideas on what is possible with proper space management.

Ike

Thanks, that looks like about our set up. Basically the yard is so small it never gets used so it will be a pool yard now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.