Testing water for autofill

Sep 21, 2016
Marana, AZ
Hi guys! First time posting, been learning lot in the pool school, but I have a question.(hope this is the right section) In my subdivision we have free irrigation water, but I have been told by a few neighbors the irrigation water is the same water as the main water line to the house just on a separate line. I have been using the irrigation water to water my grass, and plants. I would like to possibly use it on my auto fill line to the pool as well. I guess my question is what should I look for when testing to make sure the water is them same or safe to use? The irrigation water comes put clear and looks normal. I figured I could test both the home, and irrigation water to see it if they test the same. Is there anything else I should look out for? TIA

Welcome to the forum!

I would not trust the neighbors. Talk to the water district and find out if it is non-potable reclaimed water. If so, do not use it for the pool. If it was potable, I doubt they would be giving it away for free.

Many times irrigation water is non-potable. It's not for human consumption. A bit north of you in Chandler, parts of the city have this option to water landscaping. The valve boxes are a light purple color and there are signs posted saying it's non-potable.

Don't use it in your pool.

What is non-potable water? | Reference.com

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I think you need to talk to the water source.

I have heard of places have separate lines because irrigation water would not be included in the sewer charges. I would have assumed you are still paying for the water from either source (so seems odd that the irrigation would be free).

As said above, you need to confirm if it is potable and that you are allowed to use it for the pool. If it is potable and the system is just split for sewer fee purposes, then I would see no reason it should not be allowed to be used in a pool (which does not go to the sewer).

Okay thanks for the reply guys. I will have to look into it more. Is there anyway to tell if the water in potable or not by testing it? It's definitely free though, I have been using it to water my 4000sf of grass area with no affect on the water bill. :D

Non-potable doesn't necessarily mean it's dangerous. Lots of people use lake or trucked in water to fill their pools and those sources would likely be considered non-potable.
I'd have no problem using it provided it was tested and acceptable for stuff I couldn't easily remove like metals & CH. Any potential pathogens introduced would be killed in a properly chlorinated pool.

But I tend to worry less about this stuff than others. IMO, the risks of swimming in a properly chlorinated pool filled with reclaimed water are lower than those associated with swimming in any lake, stream or river in the wild.

Non-potable doesn't necessarily mean it's dangerous.
First we are not talking about lake water but are talking about non-potable water reclaimed from sewage (purple pipe water) and this is usually not acceptable for pool water unless it goes through an RO process but then it because potable. non-potable will usually have drugs from people flushing down their toilets, metals and a ton of phosphates and nitrates and anything else people put down the drain. It may be fairly low in concentration and occasional contact is not an issue but in a pool with heavy evaporation, these things can concentrate over time. I would never use that in my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, anything other than drinking or swimming is fine for reclaimed water. In fact because of the high phosphates and nitrates, the plants love the water and you don't need any extra fertilizer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.