How to detect if a gizzmo cracked or not?

Hi, you could turn it upside down and fill it with water and check for leaks. Some people put some rv antifreeze in a plastic bottle. Just anything that ice can crush but sinks(you dont want it to float on surface.

Thank you for your advice. Two more questions if you don't mind.

1. The only thing I am worrying about using plastic bottle, (e.g. coke bottle or porland spring water bottle) is that I wonder if this type of bottles will be cracked by ice in winter. If that's the case and water can flow into the bottle, then there is basically no use at all. Do you have any suggestions what type of plastic bottle will be most suitable?
2. Is rv antifreeze suitable for pool use? Let's say if I pour some into the skimmer when winterizing, is it safe for next spring after pool open? If it is safe, do you have any links/products you can suggest?

thank you so much

Thank you for your advice. Two more questions if you don't mind.

2. Is rv antifreeze suitable for pool use? Let's say if I pour some into the skimmer when winterizing, is it safe for next spring after pool open? If it is safe, do you have any links/products you can suggest?

thank you so much
True RV antifreeze is mostly used for winterizing potable(drinking, washing) water plumbing systems in RVs & boats. So it's safe to ingest in small quantities & no issue with pool water. That being said I agree with banditig that when you open the pool try to pump it to waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.