New Pool Owner. Closing in Chicago area

Jul 28, 2016
Carol Stream, IL
Hi All,

I recently bought a house in a suburb of Chicago, IL with a pool. I know I need to close the pool for the winter, but I'm a little unsure on some of the finer points of the "how". Hoping I could get some help. I keep reading that I need to get the pool up to shock levels (not entirely sure what level that is?) and then I need to drain the pool to 6 inches below the return. The issue I have with that is that I have 2 return jets - on at the top of the pool and one near the bottom (see attached pictures). Am I really supposed to drain the entire pool each winter? Do I plug the lines with something? Something about needing to pour antifreeze in the filter? Do I need to disassemble the entire system and plug/block off all the holes? I guess I'm more than a bit lost. Please help me! haha.

IMG_3198.jpgIMG_3200.jpgIMG_3202.jpgIMG_3203.jpgIMG_3205.jpg

13,500 gallons, Above Ground, Round, Cartridge Filter (SwimPro Missile System)

Hi Marmaduke,

If it were me, I might hire a company to close this first year, and watch what they're doing and take notes. Then the next year you could do it yourself if you wanted. Very nice pool :)

I see some obvious rust issues I'd do my best to take care of first before I closed it.

Rust issues were from the previous owner. He had the liner and seals replaced at the beginning of the summer. If I need to completely remove the skimmer and/or upper return, I will spend some time cleaning up the edges and steel.

Can you use that valve to turn off circulation to BOTH returns at once?

I can turn off both returns using the valve, yes.

You won't have to remove the skimmer, but rather lower the water below it then remove the hose. Similarly your high return should have the water lowered below it so you can plug it (additional step but nice in case of pool water rise) and remove the hose. As for the lower return, you'll have to plug it from the inside then remove the hose OR with a plug in hand pull the hose and then quickly plug from the outside of the pool.

You can drain your filter rather than adding antifreeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.