New pump stopped working

My pool and pump are only about 6 weeks old. Today when I flipped the switch on the pump, it started for just a few seconds and cut off. I reset the breaker (ground fault breaker) in my circuit panel and thought that would do it, because it was tripped. Went back out and when I flip the pump switch nothing - but it immediately trips the breaker. Repeated a few times. I pulled the cover off the pump and there is nothing obvious like loose wires. My electrician said he believe the wiring from the panel to the post where it plugs in is not the problem. Any thoughts, suggestions or things to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: In your case, it would be helpful to the viewers if you posted your pump make & model. Also tell us how old the pump is. Please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Don’t forget to include your test kit in the signature. :)

The members here will do what they can to give you some ideas. Nice to have you with us.

Even basic info such as whether your pump is 120 or 240 Volts would help toward diagnosis... e.g. if it is 120, and you have an outlet near the pool (as your post suggests), you could verify the electrician's opinion about the run from house to outlet by carrying some other household appliance out there and plugging it in to see if the breaker trips. I'd pick something substantial, like a power tool perhaps. If it's a 240 V outlet, that kind of casual test is not so easily done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.