Just refilled due to high CYA and algae, help

Aug 30, 2016
Altoona, PA
I followed the recommendations I received the other day and, with a CYA of 180, drained all but a foot of my pool. I had the pool refilled earlier today and just retested everything. Here are my new levels:
FC = 11
CC = 0
CH - 150
TA = 70
CYA = 70 (I was surprised it's still this high)
pH = a little above 7.2

I tried using pool math for the first time and I think this is what it's telling me to do:
add 3 jugs (378oz) 8.25% bleach
add 24oz borax
add 2lb 3oz baking soda
and it still says to replace 29% water (I literally only left a foot in it)

Is there an order I do this in?
It's late and I just got home from a crazy 13 hour day at work.... can I just pour the 2 jugs of bleach I have on hand now and recheck tomorrow or is this going to get ahead of me again?

Thanks!!!

All of those numbers are in the recommended range. I wouldn't change anything. It is probably telling you to drain based on CYA being above 50. I don't know why it would say to add 3 jugs of bleach. 11 is well within range for CYA of 70, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] Maybe you don't have the right settings selected toward the bottom of PoolMath?

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Oops, sorry, I forgot to mention the green part. So the 3 jugs is for shock level. Prior to draining, it was very cloudy green for a few weeks and it still has the green tint with the dilution. I used hundreds of dollars worth of pool store chemicals with no results, so I'm done with them and ready to SLAM. I'm new to this site so this is all a little unfamiliar to me. Are my other levels good to start the SLAM process? Unfortunately it might have to wait till Saturday because of my work schedule.

Thanks!

Your other levels look fine to start the SLAM. CYA is a little on the high side, means you'll need a bit more liquid chlorine than desirable to get to and maintain shock level but it's not impossible to manage.

If you can't start the SLAM yet, can you at least do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT)? If your pool was cloudy green before, it sounds like you need to SLAM, but the OCLT will confirm if you have algae.

Good morning. I took your suggestion and just completed the OCLT. I actually did not have any chlorine loss. My FC stayed at 22. I'm still concerned though as the water has a tint of green left and is still cloudy. If I need to SLAM, I'll have time this weekend. So I think maybe I'll brush the walls and floor this evening and then repeat the OCLT.
Thanks.

Yes, green and cloudy changes things a bit. :) if you continue ue to pass the OCLT I would raise the FC to about halfway between target and shock level, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], and brush daily for a few days to a week to clear it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.