Pouring bleach into the chlorinator

Aug 24, 2016
HICKSVILLE, NY
Any reason NOT to do this? I switched over to TFPC Method last month. I still have an in-line chlorinator in the loop...the thing I used to put the hockey pucks into. It occurred to me last night, while I was pouring bleach into the pool, that I might get better dispersion if I poured it directly into the chlorinator and had it pushed out into the pool by the returns. My only concern is that I've never read a posting from anyone on this forum who does it this way.

Bleach + Trichlor = BOOM!

Truth be told, it's probably ok at this point if you did do that because there shouldn't be any residual trichlor left in the inline system....BUT, you never know what someone might add by accident and the dangerous situation that would create. So, TFP always advises against adding anything BUT trichlor tabs to a chlorinator just to be safe. Save the inline chlorinator for tablets and use it when you go on vacation and need to automatically chlorinate when you can't be there...many people use them in that fashion.

There is potential for very dangerous reactions to occur if pool chemicals are mixed, especially acid, Chlorine, cal-hypo, I'm sure there are more. Keep them separated. Or Google cool pool chemical explosions. I'm sure some Darwin award candidates have made some you tube videos.

I was talking with a guy at work and he said that his wife put Shock in their chlorinator and it basically melted the chlorinator insides from all the heat. I think people forget that these chemicals have the potential to cause serious issues if not handled properly. The exothermic reaction is easily handled by thousands of gallons of water but not in a small confined space.
On a sidenote, the chlorinator cannot be operated with the top off, so you'd have to pour it in and seal the top and basically create a closed chamber. Could it work with liquid chlorine ? Questionable. But you should better make sure there's no other reactive chemicals in there with it. It's probably just a better idea to not use that method.

Do not pour Shock (calcium hypo) into the chlorinator!

Any reason NOT to do this? I switched over to TFPC Method last month. I still have an in-line chlorinator in the loop...the thing I used to put the hockey pucks into. It occurred to me last night, while I was pouring bleach into the pool, that I might get better dispersion if I poured it directly into the chlorinator and had it pushed out into the pool by the returns. My only concern is that I've never read a posting from anyone on this forum who does it this way.

Why would pouring a gallon of bleach into 28,000 gallons of water cause anyone concern over effective dispersion? Try adding some pool dye to the jug of bleach (although it will probably be instantly neutralized) before you dump it in) and see how long it takes to spread across the pool. Bleach will mix in very quickly in a pool with the pump running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They wanted to add the bleach to the tab feeder. That's not good. It is ok to add to the pool.

Also, never add anything directly into bleach, including dye. Never mix any chemicals of any kind.

They wanted to add the bleach to the tab feeder. That's not good. It is ok to add to the pool.

Also, never add anything directly into bleach, including dye. Never mix any chemicals of any kind.

He wanted to put in in the chlorinator given his mistaken belief that a direct pour wouldn't be effective to disperse the chlorine. Dump a gallon of anything directly into the pool and it will disperse quickly.

He wanted to put in in the chlorinator given his mistaken belief that a direct pour wouldn't be effective to disperse the chlorine. Dump a gallon of anything directly into the pool and it will disperse quickly.

Not quickly enough. It will go to the bottom and disperse rather slowly because it is much heavier than water. You can actually watch it go down if your water is clear and the surface smooth at night.

Google "Acid column myth" and you'll find an image showing muriatic acid settling to the bottom of a pool. 12.5% sodium hypo has a higher SG than muriatic acid and would settle even more.

What about directly into a skimmer which would then be dispersed thru all jets??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. TFP never recommends doing this with any chemicals. Sending concentrated oxidizers (bleach) or acids (MA) through your plumbing is hard on your equipment and potentially damaging as well. Sending concentrated bleach into your filter is bad idea because the higher concentrations of FC mean that you will generate CCs a lot faster if there is any organic load in your filter.

Nope. TFP never recommends doing this with any chemicals. Sending concentrated oxidizers (bleach) or acids (MA) through your plumbing is hard on your equipment and potentially damaging as well. Sending concentrated bleach into your filter is bad idea because the higher concentrations of FC mean that you will generate CCs a lot faster if there is any organic load in your filter.

Thanks for explanation. I always pour directly above a jet so it disperses and wondered what implications I could suffer from doing it differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.