Pool Store Chemicals & Warranty

Jul 29, 2013
So, When i bought my hot tub a few weeks ago, the pool store guy said if i wanted warranty coverage, I would need to have record of water testing.

So i thought i would bring in a sample.

So last time i checked my water myself my results were

pH 7.8 or maybe little higher
CH 150
AK 80
CYA 50

So i did add a bit of muriatic acid since I felt pH was a bit high, hard to tell whether it was 8.2 or 7.8

So pool store says

FC .09pmm (i know this could be true, since last night it was around 1ppm)
CC .76ppm (? possible)
pH 7.5 (sounds good, since i added muriatic acid and wanted a bit lower)
AK 67
CH 110
CYA 46 (could be true, since test kit is a bit subjective as to whether the black dot disappears)
Salt apparently 1700 ppm

So the tell me i need to raise my AK. But if i raise it, my pH will go up. I told them that and they said i can do whatever i like, but if i have a warranty claim, they won't cover it because i do not follow their instructions

From a water management perspective your TA is fine your FC is low take a look at the chlorine/cya chart in pool school. They do hold your warranty and raising the TA will not harm anything, yes it will allow the pH rise a bit faster but that is not a problem you just have to be aware of it and will possibly need to add MA a bit more frequently.

In my opinion they told you all you need to know, "if you don't follow their instructions they will not warranty". So if you have a problem don't provide them a testing record that shows you did not follow their instructions. How you go about obtaining that record of following their instructions is up to you. Or in the words of a co worker of mine only a fool would submit a failing report.

Ok, let me ask this, is there a printed list of ranges required for the warranty by the manufacturer? and are you outside of one of those ranges even if there is a sanity issue on that range? If there is a sanity issue on that range such as alkalinity and pH stability, you may want to call the manufacturer and ask about it.

From a water management perspective your TA is fine your FC is low take a look at the chlorine/cya chart in pool school. They do hold your warranty and raising the TA will not harm anything, yes it will allow the pH rise a bit faster but that is not a problem you just have to be aware of it and will possibly need to add MA a bit more frequently.

In my opinion they told you all you need to know, "if you don't follow their instructions they will not warranty". So if you have a problem don't provide them a testing record that shows you did not follow their instructions. How you go about obtaining that record of following their instructions is up to you. Or in the words of a co worker of mine only a fool would submit a failing report.

They told me i need a record from a pool store showing regular testing to support balanced water. If i raise my TA, my pH goes up immediately. So having my TA where it is keeps the pH from being too high.

Yes i was aware my chlorine was a bit low. I want it around 2 or 3ppm. Seems impossible to keep there since I use spa almost daily, so add Chlorine and it will boost it up to 8 or higher ppm for a bit, but by next day if I'm not using the spa and don't add chlorine, by third day can be where i'm at now. Very low <1ppm. I basically would have to add daily. or If i knew i was not using for a few days bump up higher (but I cannot predict the future).

Tonight for instance I plan on using it. I know it needs some, so will likely add a bit prior to use to bring up to 2/3 ppm, then add the normal 2 - 2.5 oz per person afterwards

pool store is anticipating continued dichlor chlorine use. The stuff is acidic.

If you plan to continue chlorinating with the powder, a buffer boost would be prudent. If on the other hand, you plan to switch to liquid chlorine, buffers would drive up PH too quickly.

With CYA levels near 50, you should feel comfortable dosing chlorine into the high teens without an issue. It's perfectly fine to soak at those level as well.

The PH is more important than alkalinity. Values below 7.2 is what triggers heater corrosion warranty claims.

As to what you tell the pool people, just say OK, I'll do it, then do what you want at home. They can't distinguish the difference between bleach and dichlor by testing the water, and you won't have any PH related spa failures if it's kept within range.

There will be somebody else there next time you bring in your water sample. Just be agreeable.

The pool store computer is set up to recommend buffer additions, because it sells more PH adjustment products, and eliminates the possibility of PH crashes.

Well I retested myself

Ph is 7.4 roughly lighter thanot 7.5 darker 7.2

Hardness 140
Alkalinity 60
Cya 40to 50

I will raise Alkalinity without ph and see what happens with ph over next week or so

Have you added borates to your spa? Borates are a good way to help control pH drift. Adding 50ppm borates will increase your measured TA slightly but will not add to the pH rise since it's a not a carbonate form of alkalinity.

When I would have the store test my water and they would recommend there magic potions I always would say thank you, I already have some of that in the shed. Then use what I bought at Walmart, Lowes or Amazon for half the price or less.

Also, keep a log book with all of your test results with the dates in case you ever need to make a warranty claim. Documentation is your friend.

When I would have the store test my water and they would recommend there magic potions I always would say thank you, I already have some of that in the shed. Then use what I bought at Walmart, Lowes or Amazon for half the price or less.

Also, keep a log book with all of your test results with the dates in case you ever need to make a warranty claim. Documentation is your friend.

Yes, that is what i said. Ok thanks, i think i have some of that Alka Rise at home (Baking Soda).

The only issue is, if I don't have a record of a water sample that shows correct levels per the store and i run into an equipment issue, they will not cover it.

Now i've raised my TA, we'll see if the pH will stay at a reasonable level. it was a bit high before which is why i brought it down, which according to many here TA of 60 is OK, but not according to PoolStore :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.