Non Metal Shock for pools

As long as you keep your FC within the recommended range for your CYA (Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart), you should not need to shock your pool. If you ever do, the only thing we recommend using is liquid chlorine, aka plain old laundry bleach available at any store.

Btw, we don't shock, we SLAM (Shock Level And Maintain). The difference is the duration over which we keep the FC level elevated. A SLAM is not a one time event. You keep it up until a specified set of conditions are met. Have you read the Pool School link at the top of the page yet?

Because I have a two year old who does things in a pool that you are not suppose to do :)

LOL, I hear ya! But using plain, unscented bleach is the way to go here. It raises your FC to shock levels yet doesn't add anything else to your pool that you don't want or need.

Are you testing your water- if so how high are you calling "shock" level?

Yip :flower:

Just because the 2 year old has a liquid accident in the pool doesn't mean you need to SLAM. If you maintain your FC at the correct level for your CYA you're good. Of course, you will need to test your own water daily to keep the FC at the needed level.

If the 2 year old is having a solid accident in the pool, you may want to work on putting on their swim diaper more securely.

Have a read through Pool School - link at top of forum. And consider ordering one of the recommended test kits - I like the TF-100 as it offers the best bang for your buck.

No need to "shock" and certainly not with any product containing metals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine maintained at or above the recommended level will kill bacteria - Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

When it happens, everyone out of the pool. Fish out the offending solid and test the water (after removal and with pump running for at least 15 minutes prior to testing), adjust FC as needed. While it may not be technically necessary, I'd consider bumping my FC up maybe 5 points above my minimum - just because..... Eewwwww.

Here the CDC take on it: http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/pdf/fecal-incident-response-guidelines.pdf

Last edited:
Should I be using a non metal containing shock treatment for my pool? Does it make a difference? If so, do you have any recommendations on what brand I should be using?

Thanks
Scott
Welcome to the forum.

As others have mentioned, don't sweat it, unless someone is auto-immune compromised maybe.

You could always raise FC to 20% of your CYA if it makes you feel better.

How do you test the pool, and how do you usually chlorinate the pool?

"Non-metal shock".... That's the first time I've heard that. Was that a pool $tore recommendation?

"Non Metal Shock" ?? I wonder if they meant Non-Chlorine Shock product like Potassium Monopersulphate?? Which messes with your CC's in testing. Best to avoid it.
I was thinking either MPS, or maybe someone was referring to some magic pool $tore elixir of dichlor & copper sulfate type stuff. If so, then yes, use only non-metal containing sanitizers.

Good old liquid chlorine is all you need, 'the bleach will set you free' (of the pool $tore).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.