Paramount or Jandy? Which in-floor cleaning system is better?

TortugaCat

Bronze Supporter
May 29, 2016
Boston, MA
I have been learning a lot about my new pool, and one of things I discovered last night is that my PB quoted and I paid for a Paramount in floor cleaning system, but what I received was a Jandy Caretaker system.

They used a Paramount skimmer cover on the filter, but the heads say Caretaker and there is a Jandy UltraFlex 2 control box.

So before I completely lose it, can anyone give me insight into cost and quality of the two systems?

Feel free to PM me if that's easier. I promise to keep any information completely confidential.

Re: In floor cleaning systems: I paid for Paramount, I got Jandy Caretaker

Did it come with optional leaf trap, this is standard with the Paramount system. Both systems should come with lifetime replacement of infloor heads. I really couldn't give you cost difference because every system is different because of pool design. Your builder really should explain this to you. If he mixed some of both systems that could void the warranties.

Thank you kadavis. I just searched for the Paramount leaf trap and that is exactly what we have so I was incorrect in stating that it was only the cover. However, the heads definitely say Caretaker, there is definitely a Jandy controller, and I am 99% sure the valve is the Jandy 8-port. Interesting about the warranty, I would not have thought of that.

I am sure he will have a good reason for why he did it that way and I am also confident he will tell me that it was the same or even higher cost. That could be true, but it really irritates me that he would make changes to our agreed contract. If he changed this, it makes me wonder what else is not to spec.

I'm pretty sure one of the companies had to design the infloor system. At least the placement of heads on the pool floor. It may be in your best interests to contact BOTH companies and ask about warranties and whether they approve of a hybrid setup such as yours. Armed with that info, you may have more leverage with the PB.

Appreciate the advice proavia. I just got off the phone with both Jandy and Paramount. The use of Paramount equipment has voided the Jandy warranty. The Paramount equipment retains a three year warranty. Neither company designed the system. Paramount is reaching out to the PB, as they don't want systems being sold as Paramount that contain other company's parts, and they are going to investigate if there is anything that they can do on their end to make it right (e.g. replacement heads).

I would like my money back for the parts and install.

Would still greatly appreciate any information from people who own, install, or maintain either system. Is Paramount a better product overall? Is Jandy generally more expensive? Is the opposite true? If you install a lot of them are they are easy to design on your own for a simple rectangle pool?

Any details that would give me some insight into what I paid for versus what I received would help a great deal in my conversation with my PB.

We have the Paramount PCC2000 (previous owner installed) and I know that they normally design the system as far as location of heads so that is head scratcher as to why your pb did that- I would be calling him on that because that is not normal

I can't speak for the Jandy system, but I have had my Paramount PV3 system for about 9 months now. I am very satisfied with how it works. It almost cleans the entire pool. After a few days there is one spot in my deep end where a little dirt will collect. It just takes a quick sweep with the brush and it's done. Less than a minutes time. I also had to contact Paramount and the customer service was very quick to respond. No complaints with the product or service so far.

Thank you will and Markb81. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know your experience with your Paramount systems.

I have given our PB a final punch list of items that need finishing, as well as alerted him to the need to discuss out in-floor cleaning system. He has agreed to discuss it in person, but I want to wait until he has finished my to-do list. In the interim, we think we have a leak - losing an inch of water per day, so I am too upset to even look at our pool, much less our PB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was just re-reading this thread. I also Googled - jandy ultraflex control box ---- seems the Caretaker name is also used on the Jandy site. Paramount had the "Caretaker 99" - which came out around 1991 - but I don't see it listed on their site now. Is it possible that your PB used a few Paramount parts on your build, but none are directly related to the Jandy infloor system?

Also, what is this "... Paramount skimmer cover on the filter..." you mentioned in your fist post above?

I know you mentioned the quote said Paramount, but can you copy the exact wording here?

Maybe take some pics and upload to Photobucket, then copy/paste the IMG codes from there to here. Include a pic of one of the heads, the water valve, control box and any other parts of the in-floor system.

I had originally thought that maybe it was a Jandy canister with a Paramount lid, but I have since confirmed it is a Paramount canister. We have this:

Debris Containment Canister - Paramount Pool and Spas

Here are pics of our system:

29f0da0b7dcff507f23cf73821fcd123.jpg

4e2d62c4f44b34d52710df54118e0fe5.jpg

5c3180e8c77638c0e42ebe851c497e69.jpg

The wording in everything was fairly simple. In-floor System: Paramount. A specific product line or parts was not given. It said Paramount in our quote, contract, and plumbing specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was the PB's response via email when I pointed out the discrepancies between what was in our contract and what we received, along with my understanding that the Jandy warranty is voided by the presence of the Paramount equipment:

In regards to the floor system, we are both a Caretaker and Paramount floor system installer. In reality all warranties flow thru our company. Your warranty will come from both companies based on the individual products if ever necessary, in other words the water valve and floor heads are both Caretaker and the Debris Removal drain is Paramount. We very rarely ever have any warranty issues with either company, if there is an issue it always is within the first season. Your plan was submitted to Caretaker and we did install as per there plan, since they are the floor heads that were used. I do not use Paramount’s floor heads. If the plan is designed for more than 6 zones, we use the caretaker valve, since it will do up to 8 zones, if the plan is 6 or less, we use the paramount valve. There are various reasons why, but both manufacturer’s understand and are aware of our installations. The Debris removal drain is almost always by Paramount.

I normally will put on the contract Paramount/Caretaker, I am not sure why I did not in your case. I apologize for any misunderstanding of the systems, but we install what we feel is the best product for your pool. They are both good manufacturer’s and both carry the same cost.

I don't think either system requires a debris canister. That being said, all debris canisters basically function the same way - they catch big stuff from the main drains and/or skimmer before it reaches the pump basket. And you don't have to have ano in-floor system to have a debris canister.

I would call Jandy again and ask if the warranty is good with the Jandy heads, water valve and ultraflex control box. Then ask if a debris canister is required - not just possibly recommended. Ask them how the warranty is handled - with Jandy or through the PB. Who do you contact if the PB is no longer in business? Also, print out and keep a copy of the builders email response.

Ask Jandy and Paramount for other PB's in your area who are authorized dealers/installers. Call them and ask for prices, why a particular system is better than another, etc.

Compare both manufacturers warranties.

Armed with all that info, you can then make a decision on how you wish to proceed with the builder.

I think there is a lot of overthinking going on here. First read the actual warranty.

Jandy and Paramount handle warranty claims through their dealers. Compared to the life of the system the warranty is short -- 5years. The warranty covers only parts.

Read it (I think this is the correct one):

http://www.zodiac.com//~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/warranties/h0355004.pdf

Frankly its a joke. And you are not covered no matter what someone at Jandy says. No one is authorized to make any other warranties. Read the first exception, if its not installed per Jandy specs its not covered.

As with all in floor systems you are at the mercy of your installer, if he is good you will be too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.