AG skimmer closeing question

rajung

Mar 17, 2015
Cedar Falls, Iowa
This will be my fourth year closeing and never had a problem but wonder if there is something I should do that I haven't.
I always disconnect both return, and intake from skimmer,lower water to 6 inches below return,plug return,and cover skimmer opening with a foam backed plastic plate,it fits snug but really not leak proof.
Last year for the first time I decided to walk up the deck and check skimmer and it was full of ice.between winter freezing rain and snow the water level usually raises quite a bit.
Even with the bottom of skimmer open to the ground it still plugged and froze shut.I'm afraid that maybe it will expand and split the skimmer box ,I have always left the lid on it.Thanks for info

You may consider adding a Gizmo (If they have one for AG pools). This will help with any expansion due to freezing temperatures. If not, placing foam inside the skimmer is another idea. Some member have used a small bottle (filled up 1/2 way with pool anti-freeze) to help with expansion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.