Sep 20, 2016
il
I have a 24 round above ground pool and my issue is Alkalinity vs PH. I started out with the Alkalinity at 200 and PH at 7.4 all other chemicals were perfect. I put in muratic acid and brought the alkalinity down to 100 after a few days and ph was really low as expected. I added PH up till it got back to 7.2 but alkalinity went back to 160. Sooooo I added more muratic acid and got the alkalinity BACK down to 120 but the PH was low again and I added PH up till it got back to 7.4 but once again the alkalinity is back to 160. Water is EXTREMELY CLEAR and all my other chemicals are right on the money. Any idea how to raise the PH without raising the alkalinity ??? Thanks guys

I have a 24 round above ground pool and my issue is Alkalinity vs PH. I started out with the Alkalinity at 200 and PH at 7.4 all other chemicals were perfect. I put in muratic acid and brought the alkalinity down to 100 after a few days and ph was really low as expected. I added PH up till it got back to 7.2 but alkalinity went back to 160. Sooooo I added more muratic acid and got the alkalinity BACK down to 120 but the PH was low again and I added PH up till it got back to 7.4 but once again the alkalinity is back to 160. Water is EXTREMELY CLEAR and all my other chemicals are right on the money. Any idea how to raise the PH without raising the alkalinity ??? Thanks guys

Adding PH up will increase your alkalinity as it is washing soda. You lower your alkalinity using muriatic acid which will also lower your ph. Then you aerate to increase your ph. Turn you return so it breaks the suface of the water and causes bubbles. It may take a while to raise your ph through aeration but that is the way to do it.

Another point to keep in mind is that borax will raise pH with less (but not zero) increase in TA, as compared to washing soda.

If you open PoolMath, and look down near the bottom, you can experiment with the effects of adding various chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.