What to get?

jpelizza

Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Upstate NY
It's been a summer of figuring out what pool we want.
started with possibly above ground then maybe above ground sunk in with deep end hopper, now it's inground we are ready to do. So which one is the question .

was leaning fiberglass for awhile but we feel like the limited size is a RIP for us. Biggest would be 15 feet on inside at widest point . Also we live upstate ny so weather may cause issues too . Last thing that gives us pause is getting new gel coat in 15-20 years not cheap. And lastly if u do have a problem it can be a big problem, liner easier fix and new liner makes pool look new again.

estamites on the fiberglass 16x40 (15x39 true area) was lowest 51k, 54k, 63k installed but with me doing cement work and fence. That's with salt chlorinator and 4 LEDs lights.

lined pool from builder we like has theses price options which to do?
- 18x40 (3.5-8 feet) steel frame is 32k, polymer matrix resin is 40k
- 1-2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 6 returns
- salt chlorinator 1500$
- 48 inch wall vs 42 is 2500-4000 more
-4 LED lights are 3900
- 3 feet cement around 3000
- 3 feet cement around cantilever is 4500
- high grade uv cleaning water system is 3000

thinking of doing steel and saving the 8k, doing 48 inch, salt chlorinator , 4 lights and I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me do the cantilever deck (I think I could , I think I could....)

My biggest question is will steel frame be ok with the salt system?
leaning just rectangle figure cover is easier and most usable space .
we are family of 5, the 3 kids range from 6-9 y/o so we think 18x40 should be good??

thanks for any ideas

We have an IG pool 18' X 38' and it is very large. What you are asking about in size it will fit your family of 5 plus 20 more :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your wife is right. Bigger is better. My pool just completed in March and my pool builder said no one ever complains about a pool being to big but he does hear complaints of them being to small, mostly due to yard sizes where we live.

The 5 of us have been super happy so far (for the 3 weeks that it's been open) with 16x34. Had family over to play, also.

I too am very interested in an swg but am nervous due to the steel walls. Leaks over the years are inevitable, and even if repaired quickly will a zinc anode be enough to protect the steel?

Fiberglass personally scares me for the crack potential and the resulting issues (my personal feeling only). Though I really want to like them. Liners are a great value and favored in the very cold areas. They have some issues but are a good solution for many. Gunite is the most bulletproof and you didn't ask about it so I'll stop.
No need for polymer walls. The liner protects the steel.
Please don't waste money on a UV system. The orange round ball above is your free UV system. Read up on either bleach or SWCG (can't recommend one enough).
Rectangle is generally the best bang for your pool buck.
That size will be fantastic. We have an 18x38 rectangle and it does feel large. Handles big groups well.

Have you researched concrete walls with a vinyl liner? We started our build this week. Very happy with the PB. 10" 4K psi walls poured in special forms. No issues with SWG. We are doing walk in steps and a swim out bench. I'm on Long Island and there are a few builders using this method.

1b4df2d1c6168668e0ace963209830c4.jpg

That was how my pool was to be constructed, but my builder tried to cut corners and installed the concrete backwards. He was fired, and now I'm converting it to steel walls.
Did your PB pour a concrete footer under the wall
forms?
Have you researched concrete walls with a vinyl liner? We started our build this week. Very happy with the PB. 10" 4K psi walls poured in special forms. No issues with SWG. We are doing walk in steps and a swim out bench. I'm on Long Island and there are a few builders using this method.

1b4df2d1c6168668e0ace963209830c4.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We installed a 16x38 fiberglass this spring. Every pool type will have maintenance - new gel coat, new liner, new plaster, ... So make a choice you're happy with and go forward.

I will say 16x38 is a good size. We have had multiple pool parties and it has worked well. More common that my wife, myself, one daughter, two grandkids (5, 7) in in a lot. 3.5' - 8' with diving board. Kids love the diving board. So yes, I think you would be happy with 18x40. We went with a slightly smaller one than that, but had 2 built in loungers and a built in table with umbrella holder. We have the cantilever decking and it looks great. Happy we did it.

Some suggestions from me - take or leave.

I love SWG. I did replace the original with nicer one. Make sure to get one for much more capacity than your pool - especially if you get hot weather and/or pool is in a lot of direct sunlight. Better to pay some more $ up front than get bitten during a hot spell.

Our pool has a 4" ledge around the entire pool at the 3.5 foot line (so not there in shallow end). Kids like this as they can swim to sides and stand and hang out. Or aids in climbing out (they use the ladder probably 1/2 the time or less).

Have mounting hole or holes placed for umbrella. We love the built in umbrella holder, and in hindsight, I wish I had had at least one mounted in concrete pad too. Yesterday took dip, then sat under umbrella reading for a couple hours.

I do not see your pump type listed. I would go with a variable speed pump. I just replaced my single speed and I can run at lowest speed that my SWG will support for about $5/month. I run a little higher at some periods to provide better cleaning. Wish I had done this originally.

Whatever you do, you and the kids will love it. I am surprised by how much we are in the pool. The grandkids spend the night over. Swam until after dark (they loved the LEDs). Then they swam at 7:30am before we went to church.

Gary

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.