Rainbow 320

Jul 30, 2016
Covington, la
Hey everyone,

I have a Rainbow 320 Chlorinator. After the pump is turned off I hear it drain and empty the water out of it. Is that normal or do I have an air leak somewhere? There are not signs of leaks, it doesn't leak any water. I just replaced the gasket. It has always done this.

Also, I just installed an inteliflow VS pump. Do I need to make any adjustments to make sure the pool gets enough chlorine from the Chlorinator?

Thanks for your help.

Hi - welcome to TFP. There's a check valve in the bottom of the cylinder that allows the 320 to drain if the water pressure inside is higher than the piping beneath it, so sounds like yours is operating correctly, draining after the pump shuts off.

As for adjustments after adding a VS pump, I strongly recommend you test daily to make sure your chlorine levels are adequate, and adjust the 320 as you go. Make sure you use the right FC level for your CYA level. If you plan to keep using trichlor tabs, it's highly recommended to invest in a good test kit (i.e. TF-100XL from tftestkits.net), and do your own testing, particularly regular monitoring of your CYA levels.

Personally I found the 320 struggled to get enough flow with my VS pump, unless I ran it at near top speed which defeated the reason for using a VS pump in the first place. For about a year I never could get enough chlorine in the pool using that setup, got algae and had to SLAM a couple of times. That, coupled with trichlor increasing my CYA levels, was the final straw in ditching the chlorinator and moved to the TFPC method using liquid chlorine (bleach).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.