Seems to come back again and again

Jun 30, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
So I have my FC level ironed out with the liquid bleach. Still having algae issues. It takes a few days for it to appear. I monitor the testing everyday. I have slammed the pool and passed the OCLT. But algae appears every few days. Usually it's a dark looking shadow color on the pool bottom and usually around the edges. I have talked with other people. Some have above ground and some have in ground. Everybody I know uses the chlorine tabs with no issue. Could it really be that simple as to switching over to those? I'm just lost. All my testing comes out good. My CYA is right around 60 to 70 aND I don't let the FC drop below 8. A few people have mentioned they put the auto pool cleaner in every few days. Or at least 2 to 3 times a week. I'm starting to do that. It cleans up the existing algae but doesn't keep it from coming back. I am not sure if it's because I have a tree nearby that is dropping a few leaves in the pool or what. Should I pull the steps out and give them a scrub? The pool will be shut down this time next month. Not sure what else I can do to keep things good until that time. I'm going to pay a pool company to come out and close it since it's the 1st time I've had a pool. Just so I can learn. But I'm baffled with the algae....

Usually brushing once a week will keep the algae away. If you see an odd spot then an extra brush will help. And don't be afraid to raise FC is little extra, up to halfway between target and shock level is a good boost to help keep everything clean. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA.

This summer has been abnormally hot for this area and it was VERY easy for me to miss a brushing or three along the way. A few times I too found myself looking at a trace of green in a few spots due to poor brushing. Your plan is a good start as I suspect you'll see the algae go away and not come back as long as you brush. Maybe even cut it down to twice a week brushing and see what happens.

There aren't many explanations for this.

You never killed it all with a SLAM, you've dropped your FC lower/longer than you think at some point(s) because Algae cannot re-establish in a pool with adequate FC levels. Brushing, or lack thereof, as mentioned can play a roll in pools where dead spots exist, so don't wait until you see Algae to brush. You can switch to pucks if you wish, but it isn't the problem. No matter the source of FC, it has to be present in adequate levels everywhere in the pool to kill, and prevent Algae. Pucks or other forms of dry Chlorine don't have any special inherent ability or ingredient to prevent or kill it.

So I brushed and vacuumed Thursday and the FC has been around 8 for the last few weeks. I look today and a little bit of algae its back. Checked FC last night and was at 12. Added a full jug of 8%. Wanted to keep it higher on the FC. I'm just at a loss on what to do. I have a few ideas on what it could be. Any suggestions would be helpful. My thoughts. Could be algae in the wedding cake stairs? I haven't pulled them out to clean them. I clean the top of them a few times a week. Could be the filter? I have a cartridge filter. I was told you didn't have to take them out to clean them until the end of the season. Could be a weeping willow tree that over hangs our pool by about 6 feet. I'm getting it cut back this week but been droppping leaves the last few weeks. Constantly cleaning them out. I'm considering closing the pool in the next few weeks. Haven't really used it much in the last month. Maybe 3 or 4 times. I just want to get the pool right before I close it so u don't have a swamp in the spring.

Just chiming in here so I can see replies. Seems to me that almost surely algae is getting behind and under those plastic steps isn't it. I always get the kids to put on goggles and scrub that stuff out from behind there. In fact the bottom of my steps are the first places I'll note algae want to start.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dleague:

Cartridge filters need to be cleaned out as per manufacturer recommendations, not at the end of the season or one time per year. 3” tablets are not a good long term solution. Chlorine is Chlorine is Chlorine and 3" tablets do not contain any magic potions. They will increase your CYA and constantly lower your PH (not a good long term combination). Brushing is very important, along with cleaning the filter. In addition, I suspect that your circulation in the pool could be one of the issues. From what I have seen, most AG pools have the return near the skimmer and usually no main drain. If you have a few returns that are spaced out, the only other recommendation may be to run your filter a little longer. How long is the filter running during the day, especially during hot weather?

You have a 2 HP, 2 speed pump, which should be plenty to turn over the water at least once daily. So, at the end of the day, it may be just a matter of brushing more often to break apart the biofilm in the dead spots so the chlorine and filter can go to work. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.