Plumbing question

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hello all,

I'm a first time owner trying to figure out the ins and outs of pools. Thanks to TFP, I have the basics of water chemistry sorted out, but I have a nagging question about the pool that I don't think can be explained online. I really feel like I need to understand the plumbing system. What each valve does, where the pipes come from and go to, etc.

Can anyone recommend what type of person I could have come out that would be able to explain my system to me? A pool service? I'm hesitant to call just anyone, because the pool is old and I don't want someone to come out and start selling me a bill of goods...anyone in the Dallas, TX area( I'm actually in Richardson ) that might be able to recommend somebody?

Oh, and while I'm asking, can someone in the area recommend a good pool store? Would like to stay away from the chains if possible...

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Seriously, I would trust the people on here more than any pool place.

We have no agenda and nothing to sell you. :)

Also, skip the pool store for supplies use the BBB (Bleach, Baking Soda and Borax) method described on this website. You can get all those at walmart.

waste said:
As Lynn said, we can help you if you provide us with pics of the system and are willing to work with us :)

The guys here REALLY know their stuff :goodjob:
Oh, I have no doubt about that, I've already tapped into the incredible knowledge base. TFP ROCKS!!!

Originally, I just thought it might be more straightforward to have someone there in person so that I could actually point at things, turn knobs, push buttons...DANGER!!! DANGER!!! BEWARE THE BLINKING RED LIGHT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Sorry, I got carried away. :mrgreen: But you guys are probably right, pics might be all I need to get help here! I do have a specific question about the plumbing though...I need to know if the main drain is working, or if it has been plugged. Then again, pics may suffice for that as well. I'm working on it!

Also, skip the pool store for supplies use the BBB (Bleach, Baking Soda and Borax) method described on this website. You can get all those at walmart.
But what do you do when you need a part? I have a rubber hose that is leaking right now that I presumably need to replace.

Thanks y'all, you're the best!
Dave

Beez,

I did what you are looking to do. I bought our house last summer with no prior pool experience, so I had a pool guy come to close it. I took time off from work to "assist" him and pick his brain about what he could tell me about my pool. It was well worth it. Having a few hours face-to-face with a real person cleared up a lot of my questions fast. Plus he alerted me to some things I didn't know about.

I was lucky, though, to find the right pool guy. Note that I warned him up-front that I would be there looking over his shoulder and asking lots of questions. He's an independent and been in the business for decades. I find the old-timers are more willing to talk about what they know. I wouldn't expect such luck with a pool guy from a chain store or major operation whose day is booked solid with house calls. Sorry I can't help you locate one down where you are, but you have a legitimate idea in concept.

reebok said:
you can order it online. look up the part number in your manual. you can check the yellow pages for pool stores if you don't want to go to a chain...though a chain is probably your best bet.

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? You could order all kinds of stuff, some you need and some you don't, and get yourself into all kinds of trouble all at the same time. Amazing how it all just shows up at the door thanks to UPS or Fedex. :)

Then again, you find sites like this and safe yourself lots of time and trouble.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is actually just a length of general purpose rubber hose that connects the Polaris booster pump to my system. I have all the specs, but haven't found it online. It's about a 2-3 foot hose with female connectors on both ends. Dayco Series 7093 GST II 3/4 ID.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.