Closing and Winterizing

Jun 12, 2016
Webb City
Hello, I had a few questions about closing and Winterizing my pool. I'm a first time pool owner so please forgive my ignorance, I'm learning. :)

I have the following:

1. Vogue - 28ft, round, above ground pool
2. 18 thousand gallons
3. Sand filter (200 lb of sand or so)

My first question: to winterize I know I need to prep it. I generally use omni multishock packs and tablets. Should I get 4 bags of that, then sweep, and physically scrub the bottom of the pool, then add all the shock? I know I have to get an algaecide as well to add to it.

With that being said should I scrub, shock, algae cider, then drin the pool? I know the water should be below the skimmer, where it can no longer flow into the pump.

Secondly - I believe for the sand filter I need to backwash, and rinse, then turn to winterize, and take off the drain cap. But should I disconnect the hoses that go to the return and pump as well?

Thirdly - I'm lost on a cover to get. I've heard that mesh ones are the best as they trap just debris not water. Being a 28ft it was a pain to get going this summer when we moved into the house. Took days to get the water off the cover. So I was unsure if I should do mesh or solid covers. I know with a solid cover I could get the pool pillows and a cover pump. My hesitation with a mesh cover is rain and snow could fill the pool.

I'm just not sure which route I should take. Thanks for reading through and providing any help. I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars on a cover. I just need something good and that works. Chemicals I could use omni or something else if people have had good luck.

Thanks,
Joe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.