Main drain issue

Joew98

Sep 20, 2016
Millington Michigan
Quick question...i believe i know the answer but want to verify...i started to drain my inground pool today to close it up for winter but once i closed the skimmer line the pump would not keep primed and a lot of air was going back into the pump. We have gone all summer with no issues until yesterday...as i was out near the pump last night i noticed the coil in our heater was spewing water everywhere. So with that that in mind i decided it best to close up for the winter and worry about the heater in spring...we do not use it anymore anyhow so i just need to re plumb the line to bypass the heating unit altogether, Would this leak in the unit create enough of an air disruption to keep the pump from priming to drain off the main?

The heater should be plumbed on the pressure side of the pump so how could that make air get into the suction side of the pump? It shouldn't.

Most pumps will have difficulty drawing just from the main drain. The head loss is usually much higher so the pump will have a tendency to draw in air from the lid.

Yes good call...been a long day, and to come home to this tonight when closing the pool last year was a breeze has me scratching my head. Last year i drained past the return eyes because we had a new liner planned for this past spring so i drained it well past the skimmer to get a head start and to make blowing the lines easier. I guess that is why i am stumped, last year our pump pulled it fine enough to drain off the main and now this year the only thing that is different is the heater leak...unless my pump is not fully optimal now (it was brand new last year)...just throwing darts...any suggestions would be welcome

Was thinking that as well with them replacing the liner and that being exposed something could have dropped down...i ended up throwing in a submersible to drain it the rest of the way down for the year and blew out the lines and air went through fine to winterize. Not ruling that out completely but if air went through seems like it is clear. Thanks for all suggestions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.