Question about the finger hole in skimmer lid

Sep 5, 2016
Pgh, Pa
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to pool ownership this year and boy, do I have a lot to learn. Today we closed up our pool, put on the cover, installed the Aquador and disconnected everything. My question is do we need to do anything with the finger hole in the skimmer lid? I have a gizzmo that I will put in once it gets a little cooler, but if I leave that little hole open, won't water and snow get into the skimmer and then be stuck because of the gizzmo? This is probably a ridiculous question, but I want to do everything I can to make sure it's smooth sailing come time to open the pool.

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your forum, I look forward to learning everything I can!

The gizzmo will allow the ice to "crush" in on it rather than expand outward and crush the skimmer. As an extra safety some toss old pool noodles or a water-bottle with anti-freeze into the skimmer to help achieve the same thing. I wouldn't worry much about sealing the skimmer lid as water is still likely going to find it's way in and freeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.